Step 1: Preparing calls and application information
Step 1 includes preparations for and planning of information efforts that are made approximately six months before the call.
Agreements and balance in mobility
There are mobility agreements on various levels. Department/faculty agreements include exchanges within the subject field and are administered by the department/faculty. University-wide mobility agreements are administered by External Relations, and include exchanges in all subjects/fields (exceptions may occur).
Prior to a call, the following preparations must be made:
- Make sure that there is a valid agreement so that outgoing students are covered by the Student Out insurance (Student UT).
- Go through the agreements to find the ones that need updating.
- Find out what the balance in mobility between incoming and outgoing students has been like in recent years.
- Contact the partner university for an annual agreement on how many students can be sent and received respectively during the coming academic year. In connection with adjusting the balance, it will be beneficial to find out if the partner university prefers an even distribution of places in autumn and spring, or if you may send all students for the same semester.
Distribution of and calls for University-wide places
External Relations adjusts the balance for University-wide agreements. The University-wide outgoing places are distributed between faculties at a distribution meeting in May–June, where representatives from each faculty participate.
The places can be part of the faculties’ calls that same autumn and/or the following semester for exchanges during the following autumn or spring semester (approximately 1–1.5 years later). The places allocated to each faculty are entered in LINK by External Relations, making it possible to include them in the faculties’ calls. The faculty is responsible for nominations for these places. External Relations handles the processing of student applications and contacts with partner universities. Distribution decisions can be found in LU Box.
Each faculty decides the call dates for their own and University-wide places, except for the University of California, which is handled separately. Most faculties post calls in the autumn for the following academic year. Some faculties also post calls in the spring. Applications for Scandinavian and European universities often have shorter processing times and can therefore be called in the spring.
Decisions on nominations for University-wide places shall be made available to External Relations by 25 January and 1 April respectively. Some University-wide places are more suited than others to be announced in the autumn or spring respectively, depending on the nomination or application dates for the host universities. The document (in Swedish) “När kan man utlysa vad?” (When can calls be made for what?) gives an overview of how the universities are suited for autumn and spring calls respectively. The document is available in LU Box.
External Relations is responsible for two calls per year. All students are welcome to apply.
- University of California: 15 October–1 November
Read more about the University of California
- International summer courses, e.g. U21 activities with scholarships:
25 January–8 February
Read more about international summer courses
Preparing a call in LINK
In order to prepare a call in LINK, the agreements that you wish to include in the call must be entered in LINK. Most faculties prepare calls at the faculty level, but make sure that your faculty manages calls as well. University-wide places are distributed through LINK and are included in the faculties’ calls. Before you decide how many places to make available for each agreement, you should adjust the balance between incoming and outgoing students together with the partner university. The LINK manual provides instructions on preparing a call.
Update information sheets in LINK
Information sheets are used to provide students with good background information about each university. Updating information sheets in LINK can be done by the partner universities or by you as the administrator. Should you request the partner university to do the update, you need to make sure that it has been completed before the application period starts, or do the updates yourself. It is especially important that updates are made with regard to the range of available courses and programmes offered, restrictions and language requirements. The LINK manual provides instructions on how to update the information sheets.
Channels for marketing exchange studies
It can be good to consider the following before marketing exchange studies:
- Update information on the web regarding the application process, application dates, admission requirements and selection criteria.
- Create a call for applications. The call shall be registered.
- Remember to update the pages to which students are referred through the application form in LINK.
Attachments required for the application (in Swedish)
Admission requirements and attachments
- Update faculty online information about the opportunities to apply for exchange studies at:
University of California (15 October–1 November)
International summer courses (25 January–8 February)
- Plan mailings and Facebook messages for the faculties’ students
- Plan website push notifications
- Link to the Study abroad pages at www.lu.se where you will find links to students blogging about exchange studies, etc.
- Do the faculties’/departments’ international students have information about exchange studies? Link to the Study abroad information on the international website in cases where the international students at your faculty have the opportunity to apply for exchange programmes. Conditions may differ depending on the programme.
- Set dates for information meetings in connection with the application period.
- Update and print posters and folders.
LINK Mobility Support
+46 46 222 70 76
or +46 46 222 31 37
linkmobilitysupport [at] er.lu.se
LU Box Support for international officers
Please contact us to get an invitation to access the shared documents.
Marie Herner Hällström
marie.herner_hallstrom [at] er.lu.se
+46 46 222 03 47