Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here

FAQs for students about the coronavirus outbreak

Below is a list of questions and answers for students about Lund University’s management of the coronavirus outbreak. These questions and answers are continuously updated as new questions are received.

Lund University's general handling

What is Lund University doing to support the Swedish health care system? (23 March)

The Faculty of Medicine and Region Skåne (which is responsible for hospitals in our region) have reached an agreement that medical and nursing students in the later stages of their programmes will now be able to join the fight against the coronavirus. The students can be employed at hospitals and health care facilities in the region.

There are also researchers and teachers who normally combine their positions with clinical work. These individuals will be able to increase their clinical working hours as needed.

Other initiatives at the university include transfer deliveries of medical supplies to the hospital from our medical, science and engineering faculties.

Will the University close? (20 March)

The University will remain open. However, from 18 March, the University has switched to distance education to help slow the spread of the novel coronavirus. In the main, there will be no campus-based teaching or examinations. Libraries and common study areas will remain open. See opening hours for the libraries.

The decision to start using on-line tools is based on solidarity and social distancing principles, as it is important we keep risk groups and our elderly population free of the virus as long as possible. According to the health authorities most people who are infected experience only mild respiratory symptoms (such as a cold, cough or fever) that will disappear on their own.

Students can contact their course director, or their local student union with any questions about the education programme.

How is Lund University managing risks associated with the coronavirus outbreak? (20 March)

The University has formed a crisis management group that is working continuously in order to manage overall issues connected with the virus outbreak. They are monitoring other public authorities’ updates and other higher education institutions’ handling of the situation.

An operative working group manages operational activities, replies to incoming questions and feedback from staff and students and keeps the organization updated.

If you have any questions, contact studentreception [at] lu [dot] se

The University has cancelled larger events. Why are there still events in Lund? (20 March)

The University has switched to distance learning and is cancelling events that cannot be conducted in a safe manner.

The nations and other student organisations are run independently from the University. These organizations have responsibility for taking their own decisions.

How are students being kept informed about the situation? (18 March)

All students are urged to keep updated about the University’s information via the coronavirus web page on the Staff Pages. If you have any questions about your course, contact your course director or equivalent.  

Questions about the studies

When will education be conducted as usual again? (23 March)

Lund University will continue will distance education for as long as the Swedish government recommends it.  How long that will be depends upon the whether infections continue to spread or begin to be controlled.

How long notice will the University give the students before switching back from distance education to normal education? (23 March)

The University will continue with distance learning as long as the government finds it necessary in order to slow the rate of infections.  
It will take some time for the staff to switch back from distance learning once the decision has been taken. You will be informed by your course leaders.

Participating in distance learning and limiting my social life feels uncomfortable and difficult. What can I do to cope? (20 March)

The changing situation and anxiety in relation to the coronavirus is affecting us all. Here you can find some tips from the Student Health Center.

Student health counselors have a help line open for corona-related questions.   

I have questions concerning the quality of my education and distance learning. Who can answer them? (20 March)

For Lund University it is of the outmost importance that you get a quality education. The transition was made very rapidly and there are a lot of factors to consider in such a transition.
If you have questions you should in the first instance turn to the teaching staff, the course leader or the director of studies.

Your student union is also monitoring the quality of your education. If you have any questions or need help, you are welcome to contact your student union.

Individual questions

Am I allowed to be outdoors to take a walk, cycle or go for a run? (23 March)

In Sweden, the national health authorities have recommended firmly that we all minimize unnecessary social contact. However, to go outdoors alone or with a friend is perfectly fine, as long as you are both healthy.

In some other countries there are stricter restrictions. Swedish experts have chosen not to take these measures at the moment.

It seems like someone in my corridor is ill. What can I do? (23 March)

Be a good friend and ask if there is anything you can help her/him with. May s/he can’t shop for food or needs some other kind of assistance. You are most welcome to contact your landlord with any questions or to seek advice. They are there to support you and your neighbors. If anyone in the corridor is being treated badly and it can’t be sorted out amongst residents, you have to ask for help.

In my student corridor there have been gatherings which include a lot of students who don’t live there. What can I do? (23 March)

If anything happens in your corridor that makes you feel uncomfortable, you have to contact your landlord. If it is after office hours you can contact the security office. If you are staying with AF Bostäder the phone number is: 046-30 74 26. If you are staying with LU Accommodation the number is: 046-222 08 00.

What happens if I can’t return to my home country when the semester ends? My housing contract will run out and my residence permit is due to expire. (23 March)

At this point no one knows what the situation around the world will be in a few months. To focus on the practical matters, often there is no problem arranging a prolongment of a housing contract for the summer. Contact your landlord and ask if it is possible.

If your current permit for studies is about to expire, but you haven’t yet graduated, you will need to apply for an extension of your existing permit. In order to stay in Sweden whilst the Migration Agency processes your application, you will need to submit your application before your then current permit expires. LU also has an officer specialized in these questions. Reach out to migration [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se if you need any advice.

I have flu symptoms, what should I do? (18 March)

Even if you just have mild symptoms, please do avoid the University and its common areas.

If you have any symptoms of respiratory infection such as a cold, coughing, breathing difficulties or fever, you should stay at home and avoid contact with other people. Even mild symptoms are cause to stay home.

If you can’t manage on your own in your home, you should call the national helpline 1177 to get advice. Do not visit health care provider without contacting 1177 first.

As an international student at LU, what rights to I have to access health care if I get sick? (5 March)

As a student at Lund University, you have insurance that ensures that you have the same opportunity to access health care as Swedish students if a sudden illness occurs. Treatment for a sudden illness should be understood to be treatment for symptoms that occur suddenly and that you seek care for shortly thereafter. Read more about your insurance cover.

The Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet) has answered with the following: If there is a decision on quarantine made by a public health doctor, the costs for care during quarantine can be covered by the Kammarkollegiet insurance. Self-imposed self-isolation with lodging in a hotel, hostel or similar will not be covered by the insurance.

How can I avoid being infected? (19 March)

  • Wash your hands often with soap and warm water, for at least 30 seconds
  • Cough and sneeze into your elbow or into a tissue
  • Stay home when you are ill. Even if it is only mild symptoms.
  • Avoid greeting people with a handshake or hug.
  • Keep social distance.

All students are urged to keep updated and closely follow the recommendations for infection prevention provided by the Swedish Public Health Agency’s FAQs (under Transmission paths/What can I do to avoid being infected?).

I need advice on how to handle my migration status in Sweden. Whom can I contact? (20 March)

If you have any questions with regards to your studies and your navigating your migration status in Sweden, please feel free to contact the migration coordinator at Lund University (migration [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se).

If, in light of the outbreak of the Coronavirus, you have any questions related to your residence permit application and/or current Swedish migration laws/legal practice, please contact the Migration Agency. 

Planned trips to or from Lund

I have been abroad recently. Can I go to campus? (17 March)
The Swedish Public Health Agency (10 March) urges all those with symptoms of any kind (a cold, cough or fever) of flu, even if mild, to refrain from social contacts that risk spreading the infection. Lund University supports these recommendations, regardless of whether an individual has been abroad or not.

I´m returning to Lund University from a trip abroad and my flight will land at Copenhagen Airport. Will I be able to take the train across the bridge to Sweden? (17 March)

Swedish passengers are allowed to arrive in CPH if they are going straight to Sweden via train or car. Please be aware that you will have to go through a checkpoint at CPH Airport with all other travelers.
For more information and details check CPH airports website.

I´m an incoming exchange student at Lund University and my home university is recommending that I end my exchange and return home. Can I stay at LU if I want to? (17 March)

Since you have been accepted to LU and are studying here,  you are free to continue with your courses here and can stay in your accommodation. The insurance cover  (Student IN) that all incoming exchange student have is still valid.

I have plans to travel abroad this spring (16 March).
Lund University has decided to advise all staff and students against travel abroad until further notice.

I have nominated for exchange studies in the autumn. Will I be able to go? (5 March)

It is difficult to know what the situation will be in the autumn for the numerous countries in which we have partner universities. Your exchange coordinator keeps in contact with the partner university and can provide you with information. You are also welcome to contact studentreception [at] lu [dot] se. To be on the safe side, apply for courses in Lund for the autumn by 15 April, and remember to cancel if it turns out that you do not intend to take the courses.

I want to end my housing contract, what regulations apply? (20 March)

Contact your landlord. The notice-period should be clearly stipulated in your housing contract. If you have questions about the payment of your rent or how to make a formal notice that you are ending your tenancy, you can discuss this with your landlord.

Current exchange studies

Questions regarding insurances for students and foreign visitors, read more at the Kammarkollegiet's web site

I am abroad as part of my studies, will Lund University require me to return to Sweden? (16 March)

You can choose to end your exchange studies/traineeship if you wish to. LU is monitoring the situation and if another decision is taken, you will be contacted. If you want to continue your exchange, you may do that. Make sure to follow the advice you receive from your host university/supervisor and keep yourself updated.

I’m an Lund University student on exchange abroad, what should I do if I choose to end my exchange? (16 March)

Contact your International coordinator at you faculty and your host university. And book your trip back to Sweden. If you need help, contact Falck Global Assistance phone: +46 8 587 717 49, open 24/7 or send an e-mail to: fga [at] se [dot] falck [dot] com.

I am on an Erasmus exchange / placement this spring. What happens if I have to interrupt my placement prematurely? Do I have to pay back my grant? (5 March)

If you are on exchange, contact: erasmusstudier [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se and if you are on traineeship, contact: erasmuspraktik [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se

The funds for grants distributed by Lund University to its students come from the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR). Their rules determine how we can use the funds. Please contact us if you have any questions: erasmuspraktik [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se

Q&A on corona

Questions? corona [at] bygg [dot] lu [dot] se

Sweden's news - The Local

Keep yourself updated at (information from Swedish authorities)

How to avoid infection?

  • avoid close contact with people who are ill 
  • wash your hands often with soap and warm water, for at least 30 seconds
  • cough and sneeze into your elbow or into a tissue
  • stay home when you are ill. Even if it is only mild symptoms.

Make yourself contactable!

All staff and students are encouraged to provide their mobile telephone number in Passport. We can then send text messages to you if we need to.
1. Go to the account management portal Passport
2. Log in as “User”
3. Select “Verification of contact information”
4. Follow the instructions.

Hold digital meetings

– instead of travelling. There are different solutions for this, e.g. Teams for which everyone has a licence.
Read more about digital meetings

On-line education

There is support in Canvas on how to go from campus to online teaching, read more.
The Division for Higher Education Development offers some support on Teach-online,read more.

Read more practical tips

Latest news

1 April 2020

FAQs for staff about the coronavirus outbreak

FAQs for staff about the coronavirus outbreak
1 April 2020

FAQ for managers

FAQ for managers
31 March 2020

Practical tips regarding the coronavirus outbreak

Practical tips regarding the coronavirus outbreak
31 March 2020

Funding announced for the development of commissioned education courses

Funding announced for the development of commissioned education courses
31 March 2020

The University’s handling of the Coronavirus spread

The University’s handling of the Coronavirus spread

Telephone: +46 (0)46-222 00 00 (switchboard)
Mailing adress: Box 117, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Invoice adress: Box 188, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Organisation number: 202100-3211

Site manager: staffpages [at] lu [dot] se

About this website