Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here

Parental leave, parental allowance and caring for sick child

Find out about the rules on parental leave and leave for care of a sick child, and how to apply for leave. You have the right to a parental benefit supplement from the University.

Försäkringskassan (the Swedish Social Insurance Agency) pays out parental benefit in conjunction with the birth or adoption of a child.

More information about parental benefit and application form on Försäkringskassan website

Parental leave

You are entitled to full parental leave until your child is eighteen months old. You are also entitled to reduce your working hours by up to a quarter of standard working hours until your child is 8 years old or until he or she has completed the first year of school. As a government employee, you can be granted a reduction of your working hours until the child has completed the school year in which he or she turns 12 years of age.

While you are on parental leave, your salary will be reduced in proportion to the extent of your leave.

Remember that while you are on parental leave, you only accrue annual leave on the days you are on leave with parental benefits from Försäkringskassan according to sickness benefit levels. You confirm this by logging in to Primula and adding your statement from Försäkringskassan specifying the parental benefits paid out to you.

Parental leave for doctoral students

Doctoral students who are employed on a doctoral studentship are entitled to parental leave on the same terms as other employees.

Applying for parental leave

Applications for leave in conjunction with the birth of a child must be submitted to the workplace no later than two months in advance or, when that is not possible, as soon as possible. 

Apply for parental leave in Primula

Applications for the ten days of leave to which the other parent is entitled in conjunction with the birth of the child should also be done in Primula. Log in with your Lucat ID. The compensation for these days is referred to as ‘temporary parental benefit’.

Application for the 10 days in conjunction with the birth of a child in Primula

Parental benefit supplement

When you are on parental leave and receiving parental benefit from Försäkringskassan, you are entitled to a parental benefit supplement from your employer. The parental benefit supplement from the employer constitutes 10% of the salary on salaries up to a ceiling of 10 times the base amount and 90% of the part of the salary that exceeds that ceiling.

The parental benefit supplement is paid for the days during your parental leave for which you receive parental benefit at the sickness benefit qualifying level. The supplement is paid out for a maximum period of 360 days for each child. You must apply for the parental benefit supplement within two years.

There is a special form in Primula that you fill in to receive the parental benefit supplement. Here too, you are to attach your statement from Försäkringskassan specifying the parental benefits paid out to you.

Log in to Primula

Caring for a sick child (VAB)

You are entitled to temporary parental benefit for the care of a child under the age of twelve (VAB), for example when the child or the child’s usual carer is ill. For children with special needs, temporary parental benefit can be paid out beyond the age of twelve.

Reporting VAB

When you are on leave to care for a sick child, you are to report this to your contact person at your workplace. Once you return from leave, you must register your application for temporary parental benefit in Primula.

Apply for temporary parental benefit – in Primula

Level of compensation

When you are on leave to care for a sick child, you receive compensation from Försäkringskassan. Compensation for VAB is just under 80% of your normal income, up to SEK 27 800 a month.

If your income is above this ceiling, the University will pay a supplement for the income above the ceiling for ten days a year. On these days you receive total compensation of 80% of your income. Contact your payroll officer for more information.

Pregnancy benefit

Pregnancy benefit can be paid out by Försäkringskassan before the birth of the child if the mother has a physically demanding job or a job that implies a risk of damage to the foetus.

The condition for pregnancy benefit to be payable is that you cannot be transferred to more suitable work.

More information about pregnancy benefit on the Försäkringskassan website

Register your absence in Primula.

Page Manager:


Primula and SSC contact details

Primula – Log in to Primula

Primula support: Call: ext. 29 000, press 3 or go to SSC Client Portal – Log in



Please contact your line manager or the human resources officer within your department/faculty or equivalent.


Telephone: +46 (0)46-222 00 00 (switchboard)
Mailing adress: Box 117, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Invoice adress: Box 188, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Organisation number: 202100-3211

Site manager: staffpages [at] lu [dot] se

About this website