Career development for doctoral students
Lund University offers a broad range of activities that contribute in one way or another to doctoral students’ career development. Read more about your possibilities.
- Go directly to information about the current range of activities.
- Frequently asked questions, and answers, about career development for doctoral students.
Regardless of whether you have just started your research studies, are preparing to publicly defend your thesis or find yourself somewhere in between, there is every reason for you to think about your (future) career. After the public defence of your doctoral thesis, your career could lead you into academia or outside it, in Sweden or abroad.
Your career development
Your career is a consequence of choices you make. In order to make it easier for doctoral students to make informed decisions about their careers, we have gathered seminars, workshops and courses that are relevant to career development in one way or another under our career concept for doctoral students. You can choose to take part in one activity or in all of them.
How it works
With a few exceptions, all activities are offered in English and are free of charge both to the participating individual and to their department/equiv. All activities are adapted to doctoral students and all activities will contribute in one way or another to your career development. The activities do not give you any credits and do not entitle you to an extension of your appointment.
Many of the activities are available in the professional development portal (Kompetensportalen) where you can also sign up for them.
In cases where course dates are missing, register on the interest list located on the course page in the professional development portal (Kompetensportalen).
- How to write a successful grant application - online pilot workshop focusing on applications for Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet).
- Get published, get reviewed and get your research out there! The publication process, the peer-review process, Open Access and a dash of LUCRIS.
- Courses on teaching and learning in higher education (more relevant information in the right-hand margin).
- Career Control for Researchers. Online career programme for doctoral students, free of charge. PhD students in all disciplines are welcome to participate in a training course on how to create an individual career plan and concrete tools on how to put it into action.
- Swedish for University Staff: several course dates.
- To deliver a print ready thesis as 'PDF': several course dates.
- Euraxess is not only an EU-initiative to promote international research mobility, it has also focused on developing online tools to help you take those next career steps. Explore their "No limits' career development toolkit for researchers".
In the right-hand column you can see whether your faculty also offers activities relevant to your career, as well as find recommended reading on the theme of career development for academic staff.
Contact your organisational unit’s HR/staff officer if you have any questions.
- Careers centre at the Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Engineering careers pages
- LUSEM’s relevant pages
- WINGS (Network of researchers within the Science faculty, Medical faculty and LTH)
- Course at HT Faculties (at a cost): Written English for scholarly publication.
- Lund University appointment rules (PDF 614 kB, new tab)
- Policy on employment and good and clear career paths for teaching staff and researchers at Lund University (PDF 436 kB, new tab)