Career development for postdocs
Lund University has a broad range of activities that contribute in one way or another to career development for our postdoctoral staff. Explore your career opportunities available both within and outside academia, as well as providing concrete strategies and tools necessary to achieve career goals.
The term postdoc is used here as a collective noun for all postdoctoral positions. The vast majority of activities are suitable for those who completed their PhDs 1-4 years ago. Regardless of whether you have just started in your postdoctoral position, are preparing an application for associate senior lecturership or have a position as a researcher, there is every reason for you to be considering your (future) career, whether within academia or outside it, either in Sweden or abroad.
Your career development
Your career is a consequence of choices that you make. To make it easier for postdocs to make informed decisions on their careers, we have gathered seminars, workshops, courses, etc. which in one way or another are relevant to your career development into our career concept for postdocs. You can choose to take part in one activity or in all of them.
How it works
With a few exceptions, all activities are offered in English and are free of charge to the individual participating and for their department/equiv. All activities are suited to the postdoc target group and all activities will contribute to your career development in one way or another.
Many of the activities are available in Kompetensportalen, where you can also sign up for them.
- Finish on Time Workshop: Academic productivity and stress management – the road to effectiveness – 25 August.
- Writing in Academia: Tools and Techniques to Master the Process – 19 april, 19 November.
- Online course for PostDocs – PostDoc Career Success. As a junior researcher, for instance recently appointed postdocs, are welcome to participate in the online PostDoc Career Success programme in English that provides basic knowledge and tools that can be directly applied to your everyday work. The programme is free for all participants. – On temporary hold.
- How to take your research results and turn them into a career outside academia – 1 June.
- International mobility – why is this important for your career and how do you go about it? – Primary target group: doctoral students. Autumn 2021..
- Get organised: How to fill that academic portfolio with substance – 7 May.
- Career Beyond Academia – seminar series on transferable skills and the art of transition – October-November 2021.
- Get published, get reviewed and get your research out there! The publication process, the peer-review process, Open Access and a dash of LUCRIS – Autumn 2021.
- A logical start of an academic career: Getting that external funding – where, when, how? – 19 May.
- Courses on teaching and learning in higher education (more relevant information in the right-hand column).
- Swedish for University Staff – Several course dates.
- Ethics vs Metrics – why you should think twice before co-publishing – 2021.
- Euraxess is not only an EU-initiative to promote international research mobility, it has also focused on developing online tools to help you take those next career steps. Explore their "No limits' career development toolkit for researchers"
In the right-hand column you can see whether your faculty also offers activities relevant to your career, as well as find recommended reading on the theme of career development for academic staff.
Human Resources division
asa [dot] thormahlen [at] hr [dot] lu [dot] se
Human Resources division
heidi [dot] nilsson [at] hr [dot] lu [dot] se
- Faculty of Medicine careers centre
- LTH Career Academy
- Faculty of Engineering career pages
- LUSEM’s relevant pages
- Faculty of Social Sciences relevant pages
- Career development and mentoring programme - on the internal website of Faculty of Social Sciences
- WINGS (Network of researchers within the Science faculty, Medical faculty and LTH)
- Course at HT Faculties (at a cost): Written English for scholarly publication
- Policy on employment and good and clear career paths for teaching staff and researchers at Lund University (PDF 436 kB, new tab)
- Lund University appointment rules (PDF 614 kB, new tab)
- See an overview of all activities and for answers to questions about the career development concept. PDF 4 MB, new tab)