Career development for postdocs
Lund University has a broad range of activities that contribute in one way or another to career development for our postdoctoral staff. Explore your career opportunities available both within and outside academia, as well as providing concrete strategies and tools necessary to achieve career goals.
- Go directly to information about the current range of activities.
- Frequently asked questions, and answers, about career development for postdocs.
The term postdoc is used here as a collective noun for all postdoctoral positions. The vast majority of activities are suitable for those who completed their PhDs 1-4 years ago.
Regardless of whether you have just started in your postdoctoral position, are preparing an application for associate senior lecturership or have a position as a researcher, there is every reason for you to be considering your (future) career, whether within academia or outside it, either in Sweden or abroad.
Your career development
Your career is a consequence of choices that you make. To make it easier for postdocs to make informed decisions on their careers, we have gathered seminars, workshops, courses, etc. which in one way or another are relevant to your career development into our career concept for postdocs. You can choose to take part in one activity or in all of them.
How it works
With a few exceptions, all activities are offered in English and are free of charge to the individual participating and for their department/equiv. All activities are suited to the postdoc target group and all activities will contribute to your career development in one way or another.
Many of the activities are available in the professional development portal (Kompetensportalen ), where you can also sign up for them.
In cases where course dates are missing, register on the interest list located on the course page in the professional development portal (Kompetensportalen).
- Take Charge of your Career; digital workshop (2 half days, September 14-15th)
- How to take your research results and turn them into a career outside academia (lunch seminar, September 16th)
- Get organised: How to fill that academic portfolio with substance (seminar half day, September 22nd)
- International mobility – why is this important for your career? (seminar half day, September 29th)
- How to Manage your time as (a senior) researcher (digital workshop, half day, October 21st)
- Course (at a subsidised cost): Written English for Scholarly Publication.
- A logical start of an academic career: Getting that external funding – where, when, how?
- How to write a successful grant application - online pilot workshop focusing on applications for Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet).
- Career Beyond Academia – seminar series on transferable skills and the art of transition.
- Get published, get reviewed and get your research out there! The publication process, the peer-review process, Open Access and a dash of LUCRIS.
- Courses on teaching and learning in higher education (more relevant information in the right-hand column).
- Swedish for University Staff (several course dates)
- Ethics vs Metrics – why you should think twice before co-publishing.
- Euraxess is not only an EU-initiative to promote international research mobility, it has also focused on developing online tools to help you take those next career steps. Explore their "No limits' career development toolkit for researchers"
In the right-hand column you can see whether your faculty also offers activities relevant to your career, as well as find recommended reading on the theme of career development for academic staff.
If you cannot find what you are looking for on this webpage, you can ask the HR Division a question via the case management system, which is reached via the page Find the right HR information and support on the HR website.
Contact your line manager or the HR officer at your organisational unit if you have any questions concerning employment or your organisational unit’s procedures for HR/staff matters.
- Faculty of Medicine careers centre
- LTH Career Academy
- Faculty of Engineering career pages
- LUSEM’s relevant pages
- Faculty of Social Sciences relevant pages
- Career development and mentoring programme - on the internal website of Faculty of Social Sciences
- WINGS (Network of researchers within the Science faculty, Medical faculty and LTH)
- Course at HT Faculties (at a cost): Written English for scholarly publication.