Career development for postdocs
The term postdoc is used here as a collective noun for all postdoctoral positions. The vast majority of activities are suitable for those who completed their PhDs 1-4 years ago. Regardless of whether you have just started in your postdoctoral position, are preparing an application for associate senior lecturership or have a position as a researcher, there is every reason for you to be considering your (future) career, whether within academia or outside it, either in Sweden or abroad.
Your career development
Your career is a consequence of choices that you make. To make it easier for postdocs to make informed decisions on their careers, we have gathered seminars, workshops, courses, etc. which in one way or another are relevant to your career development into our career concept for postdocs. You can choose to take part in one activity or in all of them.
How it works
With a few exceptions, all activities are offered in English and are free of charge to the individual participating and for their department/equiv. All activities are suited to the postdoc target group and all activities will contribute to your career development in one way or another.
Many of the activities are available in Kompetensportalen, where you can also sign up for them.
- Ethics vs Metrics – why you should think twice before co-publishing
- How to take your research results and turn them into a career outside academia
- International mobility – why is this important for your career and how do you go about it? (registration possible early 2019)
- Presentation technique – you didn’t know it’s about your career (too), did you?
- Get organised: How to fill that academic portfolio with substance
- Is the grass greener on the other side..? Seminar series on transferrable skills (registration possible early 2019)
- Get published, get reviewed and get your research out there! The publication process, the peer-review process, Open Access and a dash of LUCRIS
- A logical start of an academic career: Getting that external funding – where, when, how, with whom? (registration possible early 2019)
- Online course for PostDocs – PostDoc Career Success. As a junior researcher, for instance recently appointed postdocs, are welcome to participate in the online PostDoc Career Success programme in English that provides basic knowledge and tools that can be directly applied to your everyday work. The programme is free for all participants.
- Courses on teaching and learning in higher education (more relevant information in the right-hand column)
- Swedish for University Staff
- English for teaching
- Writing in English
- Euraxess is not only an EU-initiative to promote international research mobility, it has also focused on developing online tools to help you take those next career steps. Explore their "No limits' career development toolkit for researchers"
In the right-hand column, you can see whether your faculty also has activities that are relevant to your career.
In the right-hand column there is also recommended reading on the theme of career development for academic staff.
+46 46 222 70 15
asa [dot] thormahlen [at] pers [dot] lu [dot] se
- Faculty of Medicine careers centre
- Faculty of Engineering career pages
- LUSEM’s relevant pages
- LERU Report “Delivering talent: Careers of Researchers inside and outside academia”
- Recommended book: “Efter festen - om konsten att utvecklas från doktor till docent eller en överlevnadsguide för den postdoktorala tillvaron” (After the Party – on the Art of Developing from Doctor to Associate Professor or a Survival Guide for Postdoctoral Existence)
- Good and Clear Career Paths at Lund University (PDF 1,56 MB, new window)