Your browser has javascript turned off or blocked. This will lead to some parts of our website to not work properly or at all. Turn on javascript for best performance.

The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Coronavirus/covid-19 – information regarding staff/PhD doctoral students

Lund University is following the Government and Public Health Authority’s recommendations regarding measures to reduce the spread of the coronavirus. Certain education has switched to take place remotely. The University is otherwise open. Staff who are able to work from home should do so, following an assessment by their line manager.

Content on this page

New decision by the vice-chancellor – 18 March 2021

The tightened restrictions remain effective until further notice

The vice-chancellor's decision from 18 March entails, among others, that employees who do not need to be at the workplace to maintain necessary activities are to work from home until further notice. The line manager assesses the possibility for such work when taking activities and the work environment into account.

When it comes to study spaces and computer rooms, they are to be left accessible only to a limited extent and for students who need such a space.

In order to ensure a safe work and study environment for employees and students, and to help to reduce the spread of infection throughout society, the University has made the following decision.

  • Teaching and assessment of students’ performance (examination) is to be conducted digitally without physical attendance on the University’s premises. Only teaching and assessment that are impossible to conduct remotely, or possible only with great difficulty, may be carried out with physical attendance on the University's premises following a decision by the dean.
  • Employees who do not need to be at the workplace to maintain necessary activities are to work from home. The line manager assesses the possibility for such work when taking activities and the work environment into account.
  • Meetings, conferences or other gatherings are to be conducted digitally.
  • Activities aimed at the general public, for example museums, are to be closed to the public.

See the new decision on the Lund University Staff Pages

Your work environment

If you experience problems with your work environment in connection with the prevailing coronavirus situation, you are to contact your line manager in the first instance. You can also obtain support from the health and safety representative for your workplace or contact the Occupational Health Service. This applies both to staff who are working from home and those at the workplace.

What do I do if I have symptoms?

If you have symptoms you are to stay at home, even if your symptoms are mild.

Covid-19 testing

If you have symptoms you can order a self-test kit, which shows if you have Covid-19.

Log in to and order a self-test. You need to have a Swedish personal identity number and an e-ID to place an order. The self-test is then sent to a pharmacy. Ask someone else to pick up and drop off the test at the pharmacy. You yourself are not allowed to visit the pharmacy, and you will take the test at home. The test instructions is only available in Swedish.

Find more information about the self-test at

If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number and cannot order a self-test, call 1177, and you will be directed to a health center. The health centre will decide if you should get tested or not. In some places there is drive-in testing or walk-in testing, call 1177 for more information.

Find health centres -

What do I do if I am infected?

If you are confirmed as being infected, you are to stay at home for at least seven days after falling ill, two of which are to be fever-free and clearly feel well before returning to the workplace, in accordance with the recommendations of the Swedish Public Health Agency.

Read the Swedish Public Health Agency recommendations

If despite confirmation of Covid-19 you only have mild symptoms, check with your manager concerning whether you can work from home. However, if you are too ill to work from home, you are to submit a notification of illness in Primula.

Read more about sick leave and notification of illness – Staff Pages

The duty to protect in the event of confirmed Covid-19

You will receive information from healthcare regarding what you need to do in order to fulfil your so-called duty to protect. According to the Communicable Diseases Act, a person who has a communicable disease (coronavirus) must do what is required to protect others from infection (the so-called duty to protect). You can find out more about what this entails via the link below.

If someone close to you is confirmed as infected with Covid-19

If you have been in close contact with someone confirmed as infected with Covid-19, you are to be tested for Covid-19 even in the absence of symptoms. Get tested as soon as you find out about the exposure to the infected person and then again 5 days later.

You are also to watch for symptoms of Covid-19. In case of symptoms, consult the public health information website to find out about testing for Covid-19.

Migration issues

People who have a current residence permit that is due to expire and who are unable to leave Sweden can apply for a visitor’s residence permit to legalise their stay in the country.

Read more about extending your visit to Sweden

Lund University’s decisions and actions

For Lund University's overall decisions and ongoing actions regarding the corona virus, please see

University-wide decisions regarding the coronavirus/covid-19

Tools for working online 

The University offers different solutions for digital meetings. Microsoft Teams, which is part of the Office 365-suite is mainly recommended. Zoom, which is also used within the University, is primarily intended for teaching.

Distance education

Information and support that may be useful during the coronavirus outbreak, with regard to online work and changes to rules.

Tips and good examples of remote teaching and assessment

A new web site at Lund University has been launched aimed at you who teaches or communicates within digital learning environments.

Good examples, inspirations and tools - Teaching and learning online

Conducting thesis defences remotely

Read about how thesis defences can be conducted remotely

Self-isolation and testing upon return to Sweden

The Public Health Agency of Sweden recommends that travellers to Sweden avoid close contact with others for at least seven days. You must take a COVID-19 test upon entry to Sweden and on day five after arrival. These recommendations apply to both Swedish citizens and foreign nationals.

If you don't get any symptoms and don't test positive during this period, you should be able to move more freely again after those seven days. Make sure to follow the rules and recommendations that apply to everyone, however.

Learn more about restrictions and recommendations for foreign travellers on the Public Health Agency website

Decision on travel and visits

Business travel in Sweden

The University has decided only to authorise domestic business travel which, after consultation with the line manager, is deemed to be necessary and possible to undertake in a way that avoids spreading Covid-19. The Public Health Agency’s rules and recommendations are to be observed for such trips.

Business travel abroad

The University has decided only to authorise business trips abroad which in consultation with the line manager are deemed to be necessary and able to be conducted in a way that avoids spreading Covid-19 and taking into consideration any travel restrictions.

In cases where the Ministry for Foreign Affairs advises against personal travel, this advice is also to be observed for business trips abroad as far as this is deemed possible.

Read more about the advice against travel on the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affair’s website

International visits

The University has decided to receive international visits, including suppliers and craftsmen, only to the extent that it is deemed absolutely necessary and possible to conduct by the operational manager while avoiding the spread of Covid-19. In the case of international visits, consideration must be given to any travel restrictions as well as the rules and recommendations of the visitors’ home countries.

Travelling from Denmark, Norway and UK

Employees who are travelling from UK or Denmark to Sweden to work need to show some documentation for employment.

Please note that it is the traveler’s own responsibility to verify this in the border control, e.g. with employment contract, service contract, pay slips or extracts from the population register.

Decision on gatherings

The University has decided that meetings, conferences or other gatherings are to be conducted digitally. In exceptional cases where physical gatherings must be held, the rules and recommendations of the Public Health Agency to reduce the spread of infection are to be observed. Physical meetings, conferences or other gatherings are never to be organised with more participants than necessary. This applies to all activities at the University, i.e. education, research, external engagement and administration. It applies to gatherings of the University’s employees and students as well as invited guests.

Regarding face masks

Lund University follows the Swedish Public Health Agency’s guidelines and recommendations when it comes to the use of face masks.

This means that, from the point of view of the University, staff and students are not required to use face masks. However, those wishing to use a face mask on university premises are naturally welcome to do so and there may be organisations within the University where the assessment is that face masks are required. Local decisions will be made in such cases.

Read more at The Public Health Agency of Sweden's website

FAQs for staff/PhD doctoral students, coronavirus

Questions and answers for staff/PhD doctoral students about Lund University’s management of the coronavirus outbreak

News and information


To find accurate and reliable Swedish news in English, you can for example listen to Radio Sweden or read articles published by the online newspaper The Local.



If you have questions about the corona crisis, you as an employee should first and foremost contact your line manager.

You can also send questions to: corona [at] lu [dot] se

Foreign language coronavirus information hot-line

There is a foreign language coronavirus information hot-line: +46 8 12368000, where your can get information in several languages for example on how to get tested.

Information for managers

Faculty-specific coronavirus information

If you need to talk

Are you feeling anxious, stressed or alone? The Student Chaplaincy in Lund also offers counselling for staff, regardless of whether you are religious or not. 

Visit the Student Chaplaincy's website and find more contact details (in Swedish)

International Citizen Hub Lund

International Citizen Hub Lund provide helpful information to international citizens and their families

Visit the International Citizen Hub Lund's website