Your browser has javascript turned off or blocked. This will lead to some parts of our website to not work properly or at all. Turn on javascript for best performance.

The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

FAQs for staff/PhD doctoral students, coronavirus

Below is a list of questions and answers for staff/PhD doctoral students about Lund University’s management of the coronavirus outbreak. These questions and answers are continuously updated.

Page contents

Lund University’s handling of the coronavirus crisis

How is Lund University managing consequences associated with the coronavirus outbreak?

The University monitors restrictions and recommendations from the relevant authorities regarding Covid-19 and follows other higher education institutions’ handling of the matter.

If you have any questions, primarily ask your line manager or contact corona [at] bygg [dot] lu [dot] se

All staff are urged to keep updated about the University’s information via

If you have any other questions about the impact of the coronavirus on the University, contact: corona [at] bygg [dot] lu [dot] se

Practical questions should in the first instance be directed to your line manager. If it concerns labour law-related issues, the manager can obtain support from their HR officer, who is in continuous contact with Human Resources.

If you have any other questions, contact: corona [at] lu [dot] se

What applies with regard to conferences and other gatherings?

The University decided that meetings, conferences or other gatherings are to be held with digital tools, as far as possible. If physical gatherings take place, the Swedish Public Health Agency’s rules and recommendations are to be followed. This applies to all activities at the University (education, research, external engagement and administration) and to gatherings of both university staff and students as well as invited guests.

The Swedish Public Health Agency’s model for risk assesment of gatherings (in Swedish)

What applies for suppliers and contractors?

The University have decided that it is only allowed to receive visits only to the extent that it is deemed absolutely necessary and possible to conduct by the operational manager while avoiding the spread of Covid-19. In the case of international visits, consideration must be given to any travel restrictions as well as the rules and recommendations of the visitors’ home countries.

As a member of staff/PhD doctoral student – what applies?

Am I to go to work or work from home?

Employees who do not need to be at the workplace to maintain necessary activities are to work from home. The line manager assesses the possibility for such work when taking activities and the work environment into account.

Should teaching staff and/or students wear face masks during teaching?

Lund University follows the Swedish Public Health Agency’s guidelines and recommendations when it comes to the use of face masks. There is no general recommendation on the use of face masks at the University. However, there may be certain teaching components that cannot be carried out while maintaining 1.5m distancing between people. In these cases, face masks may be a good aid. However, the decision in these cases is taken at the faculty or department level. Contact your faculty to see what applies.

Read more under Support for teaching staff

I have flu symptoms, what should I do?

The Swedish Public Health Agency urges all those with mild symptoms of any kind to stay at home. Check with your line manager if there is a possibility to work from home. It is your manager who determines whether this is may be justified. The assessment is to be based on the University’s current decision on possibilities to work from home. 

Read more at the Public Health Agency

If you need medical attention you can read more at the Swedish Publich Health FAQ or call the national help line on phone 1177 to get advice. The service is free of charge, open 24/7 and the staff speaks English. You should not go to a hospital or health center without being specifically advised to do so. Stay at home if you have symptoms to ensure that you do not spread the coronavirus or other disease.

Go to the the Swedish Public Health Agency’s FAQs

If you have symptoms you are to stay at home, even if your symptoms are mild.

The Public Health Authority’s information on symptoms and infection

If you have symptoms you can order a self-test kit, which shows if you have Covid-19.

Read more about how to order a self-test kit on the website (in Swedish)

If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number or Bank ID, you can phone the 1177 healthcare guide on 1177 for advice and to be referred to a healthcare centre, which will assess if you should have a test for Covid-19. If a test is required, it will be carried out at the healthcare centre.

If you feel sick and stay at home, you are to report your sick leave as usual to your line manager and in Primula, in accordance with the University’s regular procedures.

Read more about rules for sick leave on Staff Pages

I am in an at-risk group and dare not be at my workplace. What applies in this situation?

The Swedish Government has decided that people belonging to an at-risk group for Covid-19 can receive benefit. This applies to people who have to refrain entirely or partially from working in order to avoid being infected. The application period for benefit for at-risk groups starts on 24 August 2020.

Talk to your line manager if you belong to an at-risk group. You must be able to present a doctor’s certificate that confirms you are in one of the at-risk groups for Covid-10 that the Government has decided is entitled to benefit.

The criteria that are to be fulfilled include that:

  • you fully or partially must refrain from working in order to avoid infection
  • you have a work role that makes it impossible to work from home
  • the employer cannot offer other duties

Read more about applying for benefit for at-risk groups on the Försäkringskassan website (in Swedish)

It has been confirmed that I have Covid-19. What applies in this situation?

You must stay at home, keep yourself isolated and follow the recommendations from your physician.

According to the Communicable Diseases Act, a person who has a communicable disease (coronavirus) must do what is required to protect others from infection (the so-called duty to protect). 

If someone close to you is confirmed as infected with Covid-19

If you have been in close contact with someone confirmed as infected with Covid-19, you are to be tested for Covid-19 even in the absence of symptoms. Get tested as soon as you find out about the exposure to the infected person and then again 5 days later.

You are also to watch for symptoms of Covid-19. In case of symptoms, consult the public health information website to find out about testing for Covid-19.

Do I have any insurance via Lund University?

As an employee, you are covered by various insurance policies.

Read more about Lund University's insurances, also with corona related information

I need to talk about how the coronavirus situation is affecting me at work. Who can I talk to?

In the first instance, you can discuss this with your manager.

If you need other support, contact the Occupational Health Service, tel: +46 46 222 32 80.

Read more on the Occupational Health service page

What applies regarding the work environment when working from home?

Your line manager has responsibility for your work environment, even when you are working from home. If you experience problems, you are to contact your line manager.

I am registered for an internal training course. Will it take place?

No decision has been made on cancelling internal training courses for staff members at the University due to the spread of the coronavirus. The course director is to decide whether planned courses are to be carried out as planned, cancelled or be carried out remotely instead.


Business travel in Sweden

The University has decided only to authorise domestic business travel which, after consultation with the line manager, is deemed to be necessary and possible to undertake in a way that avoids spreading Covid-19. The Public Health Agency’s rules and recommendations are to be observed for such trips.

Business travel abroad

The University has decided only to authorise business trips abroad which in consultation with the line manager are deemed to be necessary and able to be conducted in a way that avoids spreading Covid-19 and taking into consideration any travel restrictions.

In cases where the Ministry for Foreign Affairs advises against personal travel, this advice is also to be observed for business trips abroad as far as this is deemed possible.

Read more about the advice against travel on the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affair’s website

International visits

The University has decided to receive international visits, including suppliers and craftsmen, only to the extent that it is deemed absolutely necessary and possible to conduct by the operational manager while avoiding the spread of Covid-19. In the case of international visits, consideration must be given to any travel restrictions as well as the rules and recommendations of the visitors’ home countries.

Copenhagen Airport (Kastrup)

Please be aware that Copenhagen Airport (Kastrup) in Denmark may have some restrictions for non-danish citizens. If you are traveling through Denmark via CPH/Kastrup please keep yourself updated on their regulations.

Travel through Denmark (transit) - more information on the Danish police website

Travelling from Denmark, Norway and UK

Employees who are traveling from UK or Denmark to Sweden to work need to show some documentation for employment.

Please note that it is the traveler’s own responsibility to verify this in the border control, e.g. with employment contract, service contract, pay slips or extracts from the population register.

Additional travel restrictions for foreign travellers from 6 February

On 3 February, the Swedish government declared that a negative Covid-19 test is required for all non-Swedish citizens entering Sweden. The test may not be older than 48 hours. The new travel restriction will be effective from 6 February and until 31 March, or until further notice.

Must I self-quarantine on arrival in Sweden after travelling abroad?

If you have no symptoms of disease, you may start work immediately, at the workplace or from home. If you have any symptoms, even mild, stay at home. Your line manager decides whether you are to work at your workplace or from home.

See the Swedish Public Health Agency’s recommendations

We are to have guests/students from abroad. Should we still receive our guests/students?

The University has decided to receive international visitors to the extent that it is possible taking into consideration any travel restrictions as well as the rules, regulations and recommendations from the visitors’ home countries.

Be alert for possible temporary travel bans for people from a third country (outside the EEA region).

Read Questions and answers – temporary entry ban to the European Union via Sweden on the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affair’s website

Regarding visa applications, you should keep updated via the Swedish Migration Agency website.


Questions concerning insurance for business travel in different parts of the world are handled by Kammarkollegiet.

Read Kammarkollegiet’s FAQs regarding the coronavirus

Migration issues

Regarding the regulations for entry into Sweden, you must keep updated about the Government’s current entry regulations.

Read more about the entry regulations on the Government website

Regarding visa applications, work permits and residence permits, you can keep updated via the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Read the Swedish Migration Agency FAQs, which are updated regularly.

Questions regarding the above and the effect on newly employed third country citizens with new work or residence permits, can be sent to migration [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se.

Read more about extending your visit to Sweden


If you have questions about the corona crisis, you as an employee should first and foremost contact your line manager.

You can also send questions to: corona [at] lu [dot] se