To promote collaboration and strengthen our organisation, Lund University has adopted a strategy for collaboration with Africa in 2014.
Africa Day 2019
On 1 April, LU will arrange the fourth Africa Day “Fact and Fiction – distorted images within and from the continent”. Students and staff from LU are most welcome. The programme will include networking possibilities and opportunities to speed-present your Africa-related research.
SANORD Conference 11-13 September 2019 in Botswana
The call for proposals for the SANORD Conference 2019 in Botswana is now open and will close on 7 March 2019.
2nd SASUF week in South Africa 6-10 May 2019
The SASUF project will arrange a research and Innovation week in South Africa 6-10 May 2019, and 16 researchers from Lund University have been nominated. About 250 participants from Sweden and as many from South Africa are expected to discuss the UN's sustainable development goals within the following 6 areas:
- Climate change, natural resources and sustainability
- Education for a Sustainable Society
- Social transformation through change: Development strategies for society
- Understanding the burden of disease in Sweden and South Africa
- Urbanisation and cities in the 21st Century
- Digital technologies, big data and cybersecurity
What is SASUF?
SASUF (South Africa Sweden University Forum) is a cooperation project between universities, organisations and authorities in Sweden and South Africa. LU is a partner together with 12 Swedish and 23 South African universities. Researchers, companies, research funding and authorities are provided opportunities for cooperation to strengthen existing relationships and establish new partnerships. A third Research and Innovation Weekwill be arranged in Sweden in 2020.
Researchers who participate in the second Research and Innovation Week will be eligible to apply for seed funding (SEK 100,000) together with South African partners with the purpose to develop contacts established during the research and innovation week.
External reference group Africa
An external reference group has been formed to advice and make recommendations for implementing the LU's strategy for cooperation with Africa. The group meets about once per semester. The group includes the following members:
- Professor Ernest Aryeetey, Secretary-General of African Research Universities Alliance and previous Vice-Chancellor at the University of Ghana,
- Ambassador Anna Brandt, Sweden’s ambassador to Ireland and previous ambassador to Kenya and Head of Africa Department at Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Ms Marika Griehsel, journalist with long-standing experience from Africa.
- Professor Göran Hydén, University of Florida.
Africa Strategy Group
Lund University has an Africa Strategy Group with the task of promoting cooperation with Africa and supporting the implementation of the strategy. The group convenes approximately once a month. The group has the following members:
- Magnus Jirström, professor and chair
- Anette Agardh, professor
- Björn Bergenståhl, professor
- Lennart Olsson, professor
- Pär Svensson, regional coordinator
Collaborations and networks
Southern African–Nordic Centre – SANORD
SANORD is a membership organisation consisting of universities in the Nordic region and southern Africa. The aim of the network is to facilitate, expand and strengthen collaborations and contacts between higher education institutions in southern Africa and the Nordic region. The network was formed in 2007 and consists of partner universities in the following countries:
- South Africa
SANORD is coordinated by a secretariat at the University of the Western Cape, South Africa.
SANORD has six Swedish member universities: Uppsala University, Lund University, Malmö University, Gothenburg University, Karlstad University, Högskolan Väst, Linköping University, and the Nordic Africa Institute.
For more information, visit SANORD’s website
Student exchange agreements
University-wide bilateral student exchange agreements have been established with: