The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Student finance for third-cycle studies

As a general rule, a person admitted to third-cycle studies at Lund University is also to be employed through a doctoral studentship. However, it is possible to undertake your studies using another form of financing such as an external scholarship or an agreement between Lund University and another employer.

If you have a doctoral studentship, you are considered to be both a student and an employee. If you have another form of financing, you are solely a student. 
As an employed doctoral student, you are covered by local and central agreements concerning terms of employment. 

If you are admitted to third-cycle studies and have a position with an employer other than Lund University, it is the employer who is responsible for employer-related matters. However, Lund University is responsible for education-related matters and the study environment when you are at the University as a third-cycle student.

Read more about terms of employment for doctoral students

Doctoral students financed by scholarships

As a doctoral student with a scholarship as student finance, you are not employed by Lund University and are therefore not entitled to contractual employment benefits. Doctoral students, regardless of the form of student finance, have access to the University’s Occupational Health Service. In some cases, a doctoral student with a scholarship is entitled to apply for a doctoral studentship when three years remain of the third-cycle studies.