Profiling in social media
Guide to social media
Lund University’s Guide to social media offers tips and advice for the use of social media in your work. The guide contains tips on how to produce good content for each channel, templates for presentation texts and measurements for various profile and background images. The guide also features basic information on legal aspects, archiving and weeding of material as well as a list of the social media channels present within Lund University – if you are in charge of a channel, you must ensure it is on the list. Contact Anna Johnsson at the Branding Office, Corporate Communicatons, via email anna_v [dot] johnsson [at] kommunikation [dot] lu [dot] se, or telephone +46 46 222 70 21.
Compilation and strategy for the University-wide social media channels
The document below compiles Lund University’s overall channels in social media, including objective, aim, content and contact information. The document provides a general overview of the process and planning in these channels, and is updated at least once per semester. Each university organisation also draws up its own concrete strategy and communication plan.
Recommendations for profile pictures and names
- Use Lund University’s main logotype, in Swedish or English, as the profile picture. The main logotype is recommended at all levels within the organisation and on all types of social media. The aim of the logotype in the profile picture is to show association with Lund University. The specific part of the organisation represented in the social media account is communicated by the user name, the full name and the cover picture, where applicable. Exceptions to the use of the logotype in the profile picture can be temporary accounts or events which are limited in time and associated with temporary campaigns/messages.
- Using Lund University’s level 2 logotypes as profiles is not recommended, as they become too small and are hard to decipher.
- It is not recommended to use only the seal as the profile picture, whether whole or in part. This is because the seal, according to our graphic profile, is to be used as a stamp of quality. Alone on a profile picture, it is unclear that the seal belongs to Lund University.
Adding Lund University or LU to the name shows association, increases searchability and contributes to clarifying Lund University’s presence in social media.
- In channels with sufficient space, we recommend writing Lunds universitet or Lund University in full after the main name, preceded by a comma (for example on Facebook and LinkedIn). Sample name: xxx, Lund University.
- In channels with limited space, create a short username which describes as clearly as possible which part of the University is represented. We recommend that you add LU to both the username and the full name (e.g. on Twitter). Use understroke where spaces are not allowed. Sample username: xxx_LU. Sample full name: xxx LU. On Instagram, you add _LU to the username but write out Lunds universitet or Lund University on its own as your full name (appears as a "sub-heading" in searches).
- Remember that if you want to reach an international target audience, you must give the account a name that you believe an English speaker would look for in the search engine. In that case, also write your entries in English.
There is a template for presentation texts in the Guide for social media. The template text is designed for Facebook but can be revised and applied in other channels. When writing your presentation text/biography, it is important to remember the following:
- It should be clear which part of Lund University is behind the account.
- Provide a link to the Lund University website in the biography/presentation text.
- Write a biography describing who you are and the purpose of the account. Always mention Lunds universitet/Lund University high up in the biography.
Graphic profile in apps
Branding Office, Corporate Communications
grafiskprofil [at] kommunikation [dot] lu [dot] se
anna_v [dot] johnsson [at] kommunikation [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 46 222 70 21