Translation and language services
All units within Lund University can engage the Translation and Language Services at Corporate Communications. We offer translation and proofreading of texts from Swedish to English, as well as providing advice and support on other language issues.
What we do
- We provide translation and proofreading of material from all units within Lund University
- We offer support and information on resources for employees who need to write or present material in English in the context of their work.
- We can help with English terminology, suitable translations of Swedish words and expressions and established terms and English usage at LU and within Swedish higher education in general.
What it costs
Material that falls under one of the categories below is free of charge. Otherwise the charge is SEK 1.85 per word for translation and SEK 600 per hour for proofreading.
Free of charge
- Translation of official documents such as Vice-Chancellor decisions, Vice-Chancellor and management information, LU-wide regulations and guidelines, disciplinary items, Ethical Review Board cases, LU-wide crisis management information.
- Translation of highly visible material such as LU-wide presentation material and material published on lunduniversity.lu.se
- Translation of material for Staff Pages, LUM and LU News.
- Translation of course and programme syllabi.
- Proofreading of material written in English in accordance with above.
What we don’t do
- We do not have the resources to translate into Swedish.
- We are unfortunately unable to take on the proofreading or translation of material from individual researchers and doctoral students (e.g. theses, articles and applications).
- If you need translation or proofreading of these types of texts or translation to Swedish, you can turn to one of the procured language providers found under the University’s framework agreement. Orders are placed through Lupin/Proceedo.
- If you would like more detailed information about a procured translator or proofreader/editor regarding background, feel free to contact LU’s internal translators: oversattning [at] kommunikation [dot] lu [dot] se
Updates and amendments to existing documents
- Before ordering, please double check whether there is an existing translation that we can use as a reference.
- If you are updating or amending a document which already exists in translation, please indicate what is new in the present version.
Remember to adapt the content to the target group (who may not be familiar with Swedish circumstances).
How to order
- Prepare your document in a Word file or PowerPoint.
- Give the file a clear and specific Swedish title, i.e. not just "För översättning".
- State the desired deadline, contact person, where the translation will be published and, if the assignment is subject to a fee, the cost centre for invoicing.
- Attach the document to an email addressed to oversattning [at] kommunikation [dot] lu [dot] se
It is important to return proofread translations to the translator, preferably with any changes visible, so that they can make a note of the changes for future assignments. This also allows the translator the chance to let the client know if any typos or similar have entered the text during the proofreading process.
AWELU – support in writing correct English
All employees and students at Lund University write in English at some point. Many feel uncertain when the formal requirements on their text are higher. AWELU is an online resource which provides answers to questions that arise when writing in English. AWELU stands for Academic Writing at Lund University and is thus very much a tool for LU writers of scholarly texts, such as articles, abstracts and applications.
You can also get practical support if you find it difficult to hit the “right” level of formality, if you need translations of university-specific words and titles, or if you suspect that you might be making a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes.
Higher education terms
Swedish-English and English-Swedish dictionary
Do you need help with translation or proofreading?
Feel free to contact us for information on cost and delivery times by emailing:
oversattning [at] kommunikation [dot] lu [dot] se