The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Secondary employment

In principle, secondary employment is any occupation in which you engage temporarily or permanently alongside your employment. Below is information on the rules that apply and how secondary employment is to be reported.

Content on this page:

The main rule is that employees dispose of their leisure time as they wish and that secondary employment is permitted. However, pursuant to legislation and collective agreements, some types of secondary employment are prohibited on the grounds that they damage credibility, interfere with work duties or represent competition.

Your responsibility as an employee

As an employee, you are responsible for ensuring that the secondary employment does not damage credibility. Secondary employment and work at the University are always to be clearly separated and all secondary employment is to be entirely conducted outside the framework of employment at the University, in terms of both content and time. 

Secondary employment for teaching staff

Teaching staff at higher education institutions have a more extensive right to engage in secondary employment regarding research and development (R&D) within the subject area of their main employment. This is to facilitate cooperation between the University and wider society. This rule applies only to R&D work and not to teaching assignments or other commitments. 

This right entails a greater obligation for teaching staff to report secondary employment. The following categories are considered teaching staff, as defined in the Lund University Appointment Rules. 

Lund University Appointment Rules (PDF, new tab)

  • professor and visiting professor
  • adjunct professor
  • post-retirement professor 
  • senior lecturer
  • adjunct senior lecturer
  • associate senior lecturer
  • postdoc
  • lecturer
  • adjunct lecturer

If you are employed as a researcher or a doctoral student, you are not covered by the rules concerning secondary employment for teaching staff.

Reporting secondary employment 

All teaching staff, regardless of the scope of their employment, are to submit a report annually on secondary employment. Teaching staff who have no secondary employment are also to submit a report. 
When you report secondary employment, you are to do so in such a way as to allow your manager to determine whether or not it is permitted.

A new report is to be submitted as soon as you intend to undertake/are undertaking new secondary employment or when there are changes in the scope or nature of previously reported and approved secondary employment.

A small number of managers are covered by the local agreement on central management positions. If you are one of them, you have a greater obligation to report secondary employment and must submit an annual report regardless of whether or not you are engaged in secondary employment.

Non-academic staff only have an obligation to report secondary employment when this is requested by their manager.

Reports on secondary employment are made in Primula:

Please note that in Primula, the synonym ”sideline” is used for secondary employment.


The University can take a special decision ordering an employee to cease their secondary employment or prohibiting them from undertaking it.

In the case of a serious offence, or if an employee continues to engage in secondary employment despite a request or decision ordering him or her to desist, he or she may incur disciplinary liability for misconduct or the university employment may be terminated.


Contact your line manager or the HR function at your organisational unit if you have any questions concerning employment or your organisational unit’s procedures for HR matters.

Identify yourself with BankId for personal information over the phone with SSC

As of 24/10 2023, if you call the National Government Service Center (SSC), you need to identify yourself with BankID to receive answers to personal information that, for example, concerns your payslip.

If you do not identify yourself, you will receive the answers to your questions in a case in the SSC Portal.

Primula support

In Primula Web you can carry out many tasks relating to your employment, including applying for annual leave, viewing your salary statements, reporting secondary employment and submitting a declaration of illness.

Log in to Primula

SSC Portal

In the SSC Portal you can find information about operational disruptions and planned interruptions to services for upgrades, in Primula. 

Log in to SSC Client Portal

Call ext. 29 000, press 3

External call, from a personal telephone +46 (0)46 222 90 00, press 3)