The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.


Are you about to retire or are you curious about how pensions work? Here you can find out about government occupational pensions, partial pensions, insurance, disability pensions and emeriti.

Content on this page:

The right to remain in employment until the age of 69

As an employee, you have the right to remain in employment until you reach the age of 69. The University has regulations regarding termination due to age in cases where you as an employee do not choose to terminate your employment voluntarily at the age of 69.

You can get guidance for your retirement from the National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV). They will help you with your application and make a pension forecast.

Remember to apply in good time before you turn 69 to avoid the risk of a gap between salary payments and pension payments. SPV needs your application at least three months before you want your pension to be paid.

For further information, contact SPV's Customer Service:

  • Telephone number 020-51 50 40
  • kundservice [at] spv [dot] se

How to apply for pension

Submit an application in Primula to terminate your employment at the University, due to retirement or early retirement.

Also submit the application for occupational pension and approval of employment information to the National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV) in accordance with the instructions in the forms they send out.

Partial pension

You can receive a partial pension, if your manager authorises it, from the month in which you reach the age of 61 until the age of 64 years and 11 months. Partial pension is up to a maximum of half of full-time work.

Change of rules by 1 January 2024

Recently, the university decided to change the rules for partial retirement: 20% is the basic rule for partial retirement. A higher percentage can only be granted if there are special reasons. The new rules apply to all those who apply for and receive a partial pension from 1 January 2024.  

As an employee, you are obliged to inform your employer of any additional work. If this work is not authorised, the partial pension may be reviewed.

Your state occupational pension as regards the defined benefit part is not affected by your partial retirement. However, the supplementary old-age pension, the mandatory old-age pension and the national pension may be affected.

If you need more information about how partial pension works, you can contact your nearest personnel function within your department/faculty or equivalent, or read more in SPV's information material.

Read more about partial pension on SPV's website

For those who have a guarantee pension: Extension of granted partial pension after 65 years of age

At the turn of the year 2022/2023, the provisions "Agreement on partial pension" were amended so that an employer can make an additional decision to extend the granted partial pension to the month before the employee turns 66.

A supplementary decision can only cover a worker who is already on partial pension who will turn 65 in 2023 and who can demonstrate to the employer that the national pension consists partly of a guarantee pension which will not be paid until the worker turns 66.

It is the employee who applies to the employer for an extension of a previously granted partial pension. The decision cannot extend beyond the age of 66.

If you have any questions about guarantee pension, contact the Swedish Pensions Agency


The partial pension is 60 per cent of the loss of income. If the fixed salary changes, the partial pension is recalculated to the same extent as the fixed salary has changed.

Example of calculation of partial pension

  • Full time salary: 30 000 SEK
  • Partial retired: 20%
  • Salary for hours worked: 80% of 30 000 SEK=24 000 SEK
  • Partial pension for 20% partial retirement: 60% of 6 000 SEK (=3 600 SEK)
  • Total salary and partial pension: 27 600 SEK

How to apply for partial pension

The application for partial retirement must be made 4-6 months before the planned partial retirement.

The signed form "Application for leave for partial retirement" should be sent to:

HR Division
HS 31
Lund University

Download application form for partial pension on the page Staff forms and templates

When your case is processed, you will receive an e-mail with the decision attached. The original will then be sent to the head of department/equivalent who has signed for registration.

In order for the partial pension to be updated in the system, either you or the source reporter at your department must apply for partial pension in Primula. The application for partial pension in Primula is located under My page/Leave. Select partial retirement as the reason for your leave. In connection with this, the decision should be added as an attachment.

Insurance in case of death

As a state employee, you are automatically covered by the agreement on state occupational group life insurance (TGL-S).

The insurance means that your family can receive financial support if you die. The money is paid out as a tax-free lump sum of at least 6 price base amounts. This applies if the person was a government employee at the time of death.

Read more about state occupational group life insurance on the SPV website

For further information, contact SPV's Customer Service:

  • Telephone number 020-51 50 40
  • kundservice [at] spv [dot] se

Sickness pension

If you fall ill for a long period of time, you may be entitled to a disability pension from the State Employee Pension Board (SPV). The prerequisite is that you are a state employee and that the Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) pays you sickness benefit or activity benefit.

However, as long as you receive sickness benefit from Försäkringskassan, you are not entitled to a disability pension from SPV.

Amount of disability pension

If you have full sickness benefit or activity compensation, your disability pension from SPV corresponds to about 15 per cent of your salary.

The salary used by SPV to calculate the disability pension is a so-called pension base, which in simple terms is the average of the last five annual salaries. If your salary is higher than around SEK 32 812 per month, the amount of your disability pension will be higher.

If Försäkringskassan reduces or increases your sickness benefit or activity compensation, the same applies to your disability pension.

How to apply for disability pension

You apply for disability pension by sending the decision from Försäkringskassan to

HR Division
HS 31
Lund University

If you have any questions, contact your nearest HR function within your department/faculty or equivalent.

Sickness pension after leaving employment

If you have left government employment and are ill, you may also be entitled to a disability pension.

For more information, contact SPV's Customer Service:

  • Telephone number 020-51 50 40
  • kundservice [at] spv [dot] se (kundservice[at]spv[dot]se )

Retired professors – continued activities

The University has decided on regulations for retired professors' activities.

Regulations on the activity of retired professors (PDF 61 kB, new tab)

If you are a retired professor, professor emeritus/emerita, you can in some cases continue your activities without employment. What is required is that your head of department approves your notification. The notification must be sent to the relevant head of department no later than three months before the planned retirement.

If the head of department intends to authorise continued activity, you must agree together on the conditions for this according to a specially prepared template.

Download template for professors emeriti, in Swedish, on the page Staff forms and templates

If you have further questions regarding emeriti, please contact your nearest HR function.


For general information on pensions, contact the National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV) in the first instance.

If you cannot find what you are looking for on this webpage, you can ask the HR Division a question via the case management system, which is reached via the page Find the right HR information and support on the HR website

Contact your line manager or the HR officer at your organisational unit if you have any questions concerning employment or your organisational unit’s procedures for HR/staff matters.