Designing LU merchandise
If you need to produce other types of clothes and merchandise than those already in the University’s basic range (see below), the graphic profile must always be followed. Here you will find a summary of the guidelines to bear in mind when designing your own products. More information and examples can be found in the graphics manual.
Are you looking for readymade merchandise?
Do you need help designing the graphics for profile products which are not available in the shops? Contact the Lund University Shop by email universitetsbutiken [at] service [dot] lu [dot] se or telephone +46 46 222 47 59. Another alternative is to contact Media-Tryck, or one of our procured communications agencies:
Procured communications agencies
Purchasing LU merchandise
When you are going to purchase LU merchandise that are not in the University’s basic range, you must conduct a direct procurement. Contact the Lund University Shop via email universitetsbutiken [at] service [dot] lu [dot] se or telephone +46 46 222 47 59 if you need help with this type of purchase.
Choice of merchandise
There are no recommendations for which products can be made; creativity and innovation are encouraged. However, as far as possible, you should choose products which
- are of high quality, both in terms of sustainability and design
- are produced in an environmentally friendly and ethical manner
- have a logical connection to the University’s activities
- are not dominated by the brand of the product itself
Proud bearers or users of our products are good ambassadors for Lund University. Do choose products which are unique to the University and which can reinforce our image as both classic and dynamic.
- The basic rule is that the Lund University logotype is to be present on all merchandise, including clothing. Adapt the size so that the seal is clearly visible.
- The seal height (in the logotype) must never be less than 10 millimeters high. If this is not possible, the logotype is not to be used. Write Lund University in plain text instead. Use the font Frutiger LT Std Bold 65, in capital letters.
- The logotype must only appear in the colours blue/bronze, black or negative (white).
The Lund University logotype in EPS format
- When writing your own message on the merchandise, you must always use the profile fonts Adobe Garamond Pro and Frutiger LT Std.
- Approved text colours are bronze, dark grey, black and white.
- Make sure that the message is legible; both excessively large and excessively small text can make it hard to read. The material is also important, so ask for a material sample or test print.
Profile fonts in the Image and Media Bank
- Only use approved Lund University profile colours.
- Recommended colours on products are dark blue, bronze or grey. Black is permitted if the product needs to be of a darker hue for practical reasons or is not available in any other colour. This can be the case for various types of bags, backpacks or work clothes.
- It can be difficult to find materials in exactly the right pastel hue. In order to ensure the correct colour rendering, we recommend that you print or paint the profile pastel colours on the material. It is preferable to choose a dark blue or white alternative.
- Choose product materials which match our profile colours, such as copper patina, blue fabric, white glass, natural leather, etc.
- The recommended colours on clothing are dark blue or white. The basic rule is to avoid black profile clothing.
- For optimum clarity, white text is used on dark blue garments and bronze-coloured text on white garments.
- The pastel colours may be used, but only if printed on the material.
The NCS system is used to indicate the colour values for paintwork, signage and certain profile products.
Correct NCS values on the page Colours
- You are welcome to use our graphic elements – seal, graphic images of buildings and the harlequin pattern – on your products.
- The seal must always be cut as described in the graphics manual. The seal may also appear in full, but only on products which have a form that is suitable for this, such as round pins, coasters, etc.
- The seal must always appear in bronze, black or white.
Graphic elements in the Image and Media Bank
Practical tips for producing your own merchandise
Just as for all production of originals for printing, you must base your work on the supplier’s conditions for each type of order. Thus, as soon as you have chosen a supplier, you should find out how they want to receive the print-ready material.
Some common pitfalls:
- In most cases, white means not using any print colour at all. This entails for example that the negative/white logotype which is available for download from the Image and Media Bank does not work as an original for printing white colour on fabric or suchlike. In order to print in white, you must define white as a spot colour.
- When printing on material such as porcelain, plastic, fabric, etc. or generally anything other than paper, 100 per cent colour is the norm. In other words, you should not use any shades of our profile colours. Check with the supplier what applies in each individual case.
- Photo/pixel graphics rarely turn out well. All graphics should be of the object or bitmap type, such as black and white TIFF (Tagged Image File Format).
- PDF and EPS are common file formats for originals. The right file format is still no guarantee of printability. PDFs from the Office package rarely work, and EPS can easily contain image files of poor quality. If in doubt, check with the supplier.
Depending on the material, it can be very difficult to print small, fine details. In this aspect also, check with the supplier in each individual case.
Contact Purchasing and Procurement at the Finance Division
About LU merchandise and ordering
Lund University Shop, LU Service
Tunavägen 39 A
universitetsbutiken [at] service [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 46 222 47 59
Graphic profile on LU merchandise
For general questions:
grafiskprofil [at] kommunikation [dot] lu [dot] se
If you need help designing the graphics for profile products, please contact Lund University Shop, Media-Tryck or one of our procured communications agencies:
Lund University Shop
Do you wish to order merchandise within the context of your work?
Visit the shop at Tunavägen 39A, or place your order from the internal online shop (in Swedish).