The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Salary exchange

On this page you can read more about salary exchange.

Content on this page:

Who can obtain a salary exchange at Lund University?

In accordance with the central collective agreements between the Swedish Agency for Government Employees and Saco-S and OFR/S (PA 16), public authority employees have the option to exchange their salary (salary exchange) for a payment by the employer of an agreed amount into an occupational pension.

At present, this is an option for employees who are members of Saco-S and OFR/S as well as unaffiliated employees.

What is salary exchange?

Salary exchange means that an employee exchanges a proportion of their gross salary, i.e. salary before tax, for a benefit – in this case an occupational pension. The employee pays no tax on the salary exchange amount, but pays income tax when the money is paid out as a pension.

Salary exchange can be financially advantageous for employees with a gross salary exceeding 7.5 times the income base amount (2024: 51 245 SEK per month, compared to 2023: SEK 49 967 per month)*. Employees whose gross salary after salary exchange falls below the amount above lose, among other things, old-age pension in the state pension system. Parental allowance, sickness benefit and unemployment benefit may also be affected, depending on the size of the salary after salary exchange. In general, salary deductions and salary supplements that are the result of central collective agreements are also affected.

Salary exchange at Lund University

At Lund University the employer can, according to agreement with the employee, allocate at least SEK 500 per month and, in total, a maximum of 35 per cent of the employee’s gross salary per month (including other pension premiums in accordance with central agreements). The upper limit is in view of the Income Tax Act (Chapter 59, Section 5), which permits a right to deduction up to a maximum of 35 per cent for the employer.

As Lund University is a public authority and is required to be economical with state funding, no compensation is paid in a salary exchange regarding the difference between the special employer’s contribution for pension contributions and the employer’s contributions for salary.

In salary reviews, a salary is considered without taking the salary exchange into account.

The employee can register their request for a salary exchange on Primula Web. On the employer’s behalf, the agreement is signed by the person who has been delegated to enter such an agreement.

How to obtain a salary exchange

The process is as follows:

  1. The employee registers their request for a salary exchange on SSC Primula under “My page”.
  2. As the employer has an obligation to inform affected employee organisations about the salary exchange in accordance with PA16, the employee needs to state the organisation to which they are affiliated in the request for a salary exchange. This is done in the field “Message” with a note of either “Saco”, “OFR” or “Unaffiliated”.

The salary exchange comes into effect at the earliest in the month after the agreement has been made. Lund University thereafter pays the agreed amount each month into the occupational pension. The money is placed with the insurance provider selected by employee. If the employee has not made an active choice, the money is placed with Kåpan Pensioner.

Changing the salary exchange amount

If the employee wishes to change the salary exchange amount, a new application must be submitted and a new, separate agreement must be made. A new agreement with a new salary exchange amount automatically replaces the previous agreement.

Termination or cessation of the salary exchange agreement

The agreement can be terminated by both parties with a notice period of three months. If the agreement is terminated by either of the parties, the salary exchange amount is exchanged back into salary. As an employee, when you wish to cease your salary exchange, you must inform the National Government Service Centre (SSC) of this through a case in the SSC Client Portal. 

Salary exchange can only be implemented if there are conditions for making a salary deduction for the amount to be exchanged for a provision to an occupational pension. In the case of full-time leave, for example, the agreement ceases to be valid.

Advice and further information

Lund University does not provide advice on matters relating to salary exchange. For further information, consult the National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV) and advisors on banking, pensions and related matters.

Link to The National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV)

*) As the pension-determining income is calculated after deduction of the state pension charge, this means in effect that the income ceiling is 8.07 times the income base amount.

Changes to the rules governing salary exchange from January 2024

On 1 January 2024, changes were made to the pensions agreement (PA 16) which affect how long you are entitled to continue salary exchange (i.e. have the opportunity to make an individual agreement about extra pension contributions). 

How long you can participate in salary exchange, referred to as the deadline for salary exchange, depends on what year you were born and your trade union affiliation.

Read more about changes to the rules governing salary exchange below.

State the deadline and your trade union affiliation in your application 

Because of the changes outlined above, you now always need to state the deadline for salary exchange and trade union affiliation (or absence thereof) when you submit an application for salary exchange through Primula’s salary exchange form. 

If details of the deadline and/or trade union affiliation are missing from your application, your case will be returned to you to be completed, which means a delay before your case can be approved.

New application for those aged 64 years and 11 months

National Government Service Centre (SSC) administers the University’s salaries and has currently registered a deadline of 64 years, 11 months for all salary exchange agreements which were registered as “until further notice” before 1 January 2024, meaning that no deadline was entered. 

This means that if you wish to continue with salary exchange after the age of 64 years, 11 months, you will need to submit a new application for salary exchange in Primula (including deadline and trade union affiliation). 

Latest deadline for individual agreements about extra pension contributions (salary exchange):

Born 1988 or later (Group I)

Saco-SAt the latest, until the calendar month before the month in which the employee turns 69.
SekoAt the latest, until the calendar month before the month in which the employee turns 69.
OFR/SAt the latest, until the calendar month before the month in which the employee turns 69.
Non-members of employee organisationsAt the latest, until the calendar month before the month in which the employee turns 69.

Born 1987 and earlier (Group II)

Saco-SAt the latest, until the calendar month before the month in which the employee turns 69.
SekoAt the latest, until the calendar month before the month in which the employee turns 67. 
OFR/SAt the latest, until the calendar month before the month in which the employee turns 67.
Non-members of employee organisationsAt the latest, until the calendar month before the month in which the employee turns 69.


Contact your line manager or the HR function at your organisational unit if you have any questions concerning employment or your organisational unit’s procedures for HR matters.

Primula support

In Primula Web you can carry out many tasks relating to your employment, including applying for annual leave, viewing your salary statements, reporting secondary employment and submitting a declaration of illness.

Log in to Primula

SSC Portal

In the SSC Portal you can find information about operational disruptions and planned interruptions to services for upgrades, in Primula. 

Log in to SSC Client Portal

Call ext. 29 000, press 3. You need to identify yourself with BankID to receive answers to personal information that, for example, concerns your payslip. If you do not identify yourself, you will receive the answers to your questions in a case in the SSC Portal.

External call, from a personal telephone +46 (0)46 222 90 00, press 3)