Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here

Tuition fee-paying students

Which students are required to pay tuition fees? How is this administered at the University? Here you can learn more about the rules and procedures that apply for tuition fee-paying students.

Obligation to pay application fees and tuition fees 

According to Swedish law, a person who is not a citizen of Sweden, another EEA member country, or Switzerland, is subject to application fees and tuition fees in Sweden. There are, however, a large number of exceptions to this rule. A common denominator among these exceptions is that the student must have a residence permit on grounds other than studies in Sweden.

For information about application fees and tuition fees, see

You can also refer students to the Lund University student information on tuition fees


The Finance division issues invoices for programme students, after receiving documentation from the Admission Office, a few days after the last selection in each admission round. Continuing students will receive their invoices at the same time as students admitted during the international rounds of admission (in May and November). 

Course students will receive an email, telling them to contact tuitionfees [at] eken [dot] lu [dot] se in order to receive an invoice. Once payment has been made, it will be registered in Ladok.

New citizenship or permanent residence, and changes in the tuition fee status

The tuition fee status is determined during admission through the NyA admissions system. The tuition fee status rarely changes during the period of studies, although there are exceptions.

It is important to inform continuing students that should they be granted either residence permit for reasons other than studies, or relevant citizenship, exempting them from having to pay tuition fees, they must immediately submit a copy of their passport or residence permit decision, to lant [at] stu [dot] lu [dot] se

Please refer students to the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) for questions and answers about tuition fee status

Conditioned admission on paid tuition fees

Those who are obligated to pay tuition fees will only be admitted once the fee has been paid. The Swedish Migration Board will only issue residence permits for studies to those who have been completely admitted, i.e. who have paid their tuition fees. Should payment be made after 15 June for a first semester on a Master’s programme, there is a risk of not receiving a residence permit before the start of the semester. Students who have not paid their tuition fee for a semester, may neither be registered nor participate in the course/programme.

Suspension due to unpaid tuition fees

Continuing students must pay the full tuition fee according to the rate of study to which they have been admitted.Students who participate in courses/programmes without having paid their tuition fees will be suspended from the University until the fees have been paid in full. A suspension decision means that the student is not allowed to participate in class, exams, or other activities related to the course/programme at the University. In specific cases, the University may also decide not to issue degree certificates and course certificates until fees have been paid in full. The chair of the University admissions board decides on suspensions, on the basis of documentation from the Admissions Office.   

Extension of tuition fee payments

Students on an international scholarship that is not paid until after the start of the semester must apply for an extension of payment, in order to be registered. To request an application form, contact the Finance division at tuitionfees [at] eken [dot] lu [dot] se and submit the form using the same email address. The chair and vice-chair of the University admissions board will make the decision. Students with US student finance are not required to apply for an extension.

Refund requests

To request an application form, contact the Finance division at tuitionfees [at] eken [dot] lu [dot] se and submit the form using the same email address. The decision will be made by the University admissions board or the Admissions Office by delegation. For a full refund, the application must be submitted before the start of the semester. Any later, and the refunded amount is reduced. Exceptions may occur, under special circumstances.

Please refer students to the information on refunds at

Page Manager:


Questions about admission, tuition fee status and regulations: 
Admissions Office
instlant [at] stu [dot] lu [dot] se

Questions about invoices, refund requests, or payment extensions:
Finance Division
tuitionfees [at] eken [dot] lu [dot] se

Questions about international recruitment, payments, forecasts:
Richard Stenelo
International manager
+46 46 222 14 66
richard [dot] stenelo [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se 

Telephone: +46 (0)46-222 00 00 (switchboard)
Mailing adress: Box 117, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Invoice adress: Box 188, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Organisation number: 202100-3211

Site manager: staffpages [at] lu [dot] se

About this website