The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

There is a lot to consider when you decide to resign from your job. For example, you must submit your resignation in Primula, and the notice period can vary. You must continue to fulfil your work duties as usual during the notice period.

Content on this page:

If you decide to resign, you must do so in the right form in Primula, under My page. You must also fill in the date you wish to be the last of your employment.

Your resignation is tendered as of the date the request is received by the university, within normal office hours. The manager makes the final decision on your last day of employment. 

Remember that you must fulfil your work duties as usual during your notice period. Your work obligations are the same as before unless you have reached a different agreement with your manager.

The main principle is that you have the same salary and benefits during your notice period as you had before you resigned. However, once your employment is terminated, you are no longer covered by the occupational pension agreement or by the occupational insurance in case of illness or occupational injury. You are not entitled to benefits associated with your employment either.

Notice period

If you have been employed for one year or less, you have a one month notice period if you decide to resign. If you have been employed for more than one year, you must give two months’ notice. This applies to employment until further notice. 

Your period of employment includes one or more positions held consecutively in a public authority. If your manager gives you permission, you may be allowed to leave after a shorter notice period.

If you are on authorised leave, the same notice period applies as if you were at work.

If you are still in the probationary period of employment, you have a statutory right to terminate your employment before the end of the probation.

If you are employed under commission or warrant of appointment. i.e. with stronger employment protection than is usually the case, you have a notice period of six months. This also applies to professors who were appointed after 1 October 2001.

Fixed-term employees

If you are a fixed-term employee, for example a substitute, there is normally no notice period. The employment period runs for the agreed time and can only be terminated early by agreement between you and the employer.

The most common form of fixed-term employment is that of “no longer than” appointments, i.e. appointments until further notice but no longer than a certain date. In that case, the same notice periods apply as for employment until further notice if you or your manager wish to terminate the employment earlier than the date specified in the contract.

Annual leave and flexitime 

In the case of a resignation, you are entitled to annual leave benefits up to and including the last day of your employment. Your annual leave compensation is paid out in money if you have not already taken the leave during your employment. The holiday bonus is to be paid out at the latest one month after the end of your employment.

If your annual leave has already been authorised, you are entitled to take it during your notice period. 

If your annual leave has not been authorised in advance, your manager must normally agree to it before you can take your leave. However, there is a protection rule in the Annual Leave Act which entitles employees to at least four weeks’ consecutive leave during the period from June to August. If your notice period covers the whole of that period, you are entitled to take leave for at least four consecutive weeks.

You have no obligation to take annual leave during the notice period, even if this has been agreed in advance. The only exception is if you have a notice period of longer than 6 months. However, you may be obliged to take agreed compensatory leave.

Certificates and references

Certificate of employment

At your request, you can get a certificate of your employment at the University. The certificate contains information on the position or positions you have had at the University, where you were placed and the periods of each employment. Consider the certificate as an original document and only submit a certified copy of it in connection with job applications etc.

Contact SSC Portalen to request such a certificate.

Link to the SSC Portalen (in Swedish)


If you wish to have a reference statement when you leave your employment, you are to contact your line manager. A reference statement usually consists of a brief account of your work duties and your performance during your period of employment. 

Employer’s certificate

The employer’s certificate is used by unemployment insurance funds as documentation to calculate unemployment benefits. It is a certificate of completed work issued by the SSC Salary Services. Go to the SSC Portalen if you want an employer’s certificate.

Link to the SSC Portalen (in Swedish)

When your certificate is ready, you will receive a message via the SSC Portal. You can then log in to the website of your union’s unemployment insurance fund to view the details and approve the certificate.

If you are not associated with any unemployment fund, the details will be available on 

If your employment at the University has ceased, you can no longer log in via the SSC Portal. In this case, contact SSC via telephone to order the employer’s certificate.

SSC telephone number: + 46 46 222 90 00, press 3. 

Unemployment benefits (A-kassa)

If you resign voluntarily, particular rules apply to obtaining unemployment benefits. You may for example be excluded from any benefits for 45 days followed by 7 qualifying days. 

Contact your unemployment benefits organisation for more information on what applies in your case.

Property of the employer

Make sure that you return any work equipment or other material to which you have had access during your employment to your employer when your employment ends.

Read more about copyright and publication


Contact your line manager or the HR officer at your organisational unit if you have any questions concerning employment or your organisational unit’s procedures for HR/staff matters.