Your browser has javascript turned off or blocked. This will lead to some parts of our website to not work properly or at all. Turn on javascript for best performance.

The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Insurance for scholarship holders

Not formally employed by Lund University

Coming to Sweden

If you are planning to stay for 365 days or longer in Sweden, you must apply on arrival to be registered as a resident in Sweden (folkbokföring). Registration requires a permanent address in Sweden; you will receive a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer).

Citizen of another EU or EEA country

As a citizen of another EU or EEA country you can only get a personal identity number if you can show that you have sufficient money to live on and support yourself in Sweden. You also need to have comprehensive health insurance with you from your EU or EEA country (bring a so called S1 form).

Read more at the Swedish Tax Agency website

For scholarship holders who will not be registered as resident in Sweden or who are waiting to be registered as resident

Health care in Sweden

Before a scholarship holder has been registered as a resident and received a personal identity number:

Citizens of the EU/EEA and Switzerland must bring an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) in order to obtain subsidised health care (only paying patient fees (patientavgift). If an individual does not have a valid EHIC, emergency health care is automatically covered under the Insurance for foreign visitors' policy which covers you and your family.

Read the terms of the policy at the Kammarkollegiet website (PDF, new tab)

This means that during this time you will automatically receive Insurance for foreign visitors, which covers you and your family, and receive emergency health care in Sweden free of charge. When you visit the health service, you should either pay or request an invoice for the cost, made out to you. The receipt/invoice and claim form (signed by your head of department) should then be sent to Kammarkollegiet.

Claim form Insurance for foreign visitors at the Kammarkollegiet website (PDF 937 kB, new tab)

Please note that Insurance for foreign visitors does not cover planned care, immunizations or maternity care.

If you have a valid Schengen visa (90 days), Insurance for foreign visitors also applies when travelling within the Schengen area.

You need  to supplement your insurance cover with other private insurance policies, e.g. home insurance, please see below.

Once registered as a resident

Once a scholarship holder is registered as resident in Sweden, you can receive full subsidised Swedish health care and only pay patient fees. Since you don't pay taxes in Sweden, you might have difficulties in the contact with health care units. The Insurance for foreign visitors applies in these cases.

Occupational injury insurance

Once a scholarship holder is registered as resident, you will automatically be covered by a special personal injury policy, SPS (Särskilt Personskadeskydd), while at work and while travelling to and from work.

Read more about SPS (in Swedish)

Business travel

On business trips approved by Lund University, scholarship holders are automatically covered by the Swedish state business travel insurance policy.

Read more about business travel insurance

Read more about business travel

If your trip is not approved and funded by the University, the department should arrange individual travel insurance.

Read the terms of travel insurance at the Kammarkollegiet website (in Swedish)

Take your insurance certificate available from your department with you when you travel.

Private insurance

Make sure you take out private insurance policies, e.g. home insurance and travel insurance for for private travels.

Sick leave and parental leave for scholarship-funded doctoral students

When receiving a doctoral student with a scholarship, an agreement should be made with the funding provider to allow for the extension of the scholarship in the event of sickness or parental leave in order to guarantee that the doctoral student will be able to complete his or her studies.

SIDA (ISP) scholarship holders are employed in their home country and receive sickness and parental benefit from there.

The department pays for an insurance policy for scholarship-funded doctoral students from Kammarkollegiet. How to report sickness or parental leave and the complete insurance terms is found at the Kammarkollegiet website:

Read more at the Kammarkollegiet website

Questions concerning this particular insurance policy for scholarship-funded doctoral students can be sent to erland [dot] torngren [at] kammarkollegiet [dot] se.


Please contact your line manager or the human resources officer within your department/faculty or equivalent.