Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here

Other types of leave

You can apply for leave as needed; certain types of leave may be granted with pay.

To apply for leave, you should submit an application to your line manager. If you are only going to be absent for a few hours, for example for a doctor’s appointment, it may be sufficient to make a note of this on your flexitime form. Irrespective of the length of the period of leave, you must always speak to your manager beforehand.

Apply for leave in SSC Primula

There are a few (unusual) types of authorised leave that are not included in Primula and for which applications are still to be made using a paper form.

Application for leave (PDF 94 kB, new tab)

Paid leave

For certain types of approved leave, you have the right to receive your salary without reductions:

  • visits to a doctor, to the University’s occupational health service, to outpatient care or maternity care and for blood donation, if you cannot attend outside work hours
  • emergency dental care and examination or treatment after referral from a dentist or doctor, if you cannot attend outside work hours
  • cases of serious illness, deaths, funerals within your immediate family or among close relatives (maximum 10 days per calendar year)
  • moving house, if a relocation allowance is paid out (maximum 3 days)
  • moving house in other cases (one day)
  • trade union assignments (maximum 10 days per calendar year)
  • graduation and examinations (maximum 5 days per calendar year)

Cases of serious illness

Cases of serious illness are defined as illnesses of a life-threatening nature or medical emergencies. This does not cover leave for other reasons connected to the illness of a relative, such as caring for the patient.

Unpaid leave

The Ordinance respecting Leave of Absence regulates or lays down additional rules on the following types of leave:

  • Leave for international secondments etc.
  • Parental leave
  • Leave for certain local government assignments
  • Leave for trade union representation

Leave can also be granted in other situations, on the condition that there are valid reasons and it is not detrimental to the University’s activities.


As a rule, you are entitled to leave for study purposes. You have the right to take study leave for the entire year, but you can also limit your leave to the semester period. There is normally no remuneration from your employer during this type of leave.

One condition is that the studies undertaken follow a syllabus or similar plan and include teaching.

The application for leave is to be submitted as early as possible. Your employer may be entitled to postpone the leave for up to six months.

If you choose to withdraw from your studies, you have the right to return to work. You must allow for a certain delay in this. If your period of leave has lasted over a year, your employer has the right to postpone your return to work for a month. If your period of leave has lasted for a shorter period of time, your employer can postpone your return for two weeks.

Political assignments

You are entitled to unpaid leave for assignments as a member of the Riksdag (Swedish Parliament) or other political assignments in local or regional government from the day you enter office until the day you leave office. You must inform your line manager of the assignment and its scope as early as possible.

Military service

As a rule, leave for military service is unpaid. However, there are some exceptions in connection with, for example, refresher training.

Private matters

You can also apply for leave for what is usually termed "private matters". This could be testing a job with another employer or travelling, or any other reason not listed above. However, leave for such reasons is not an entitlement.

Page Manager:


Primula and SSC contact details

Primula – Log in to Primula

Primula support: Call: ext. 29 000, press 3 or go to SSC Client Portal – Log in



Please contact your line manager or the human resources officer within your department/faculty or equivalent.


Telephone: +46 (0)46-222 00 00 (switchboard)
Mailing adress: Box 117, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Invoice adress: Box 188, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Organisation number: 202100-3211

Site manager: staffpages [at] lu [dot] se

About this website