Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here


Are you about to retire or are you curious about how pensions work? Here you can find out about government occupational pensions, partial pensions, insurance, disability pensions and emeriti.

The pensionable age is reached at the end of the month before you turn 65. As an employee, you are entitled to stay in your job up to and including the month you turn 67. You can also be granted a partial pension from the age of 61.

Employees can get advice in view of their retirement from the National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV). They contact you seven months before you turn 65 or 67 to ask what pension plans you have. SPV can help you with your application and in making a forecast.

If you need more information about your pension, you can contact the SPV customer service by telephone 060-18 76 00 or email pension [dot] lu [at] spv [dot] se

How to apply for retirement

As an employee, you enter your application in SSC Primula for termination of employment due to retirement age or partial pre-retirement. Your application for a retirement pension and approval of your employment details are to be sent to the National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV) according to the instructions stated in the forms they send out.

Partial pension

You can receive a partial pension, subject to your manager’s approval, as of the month you turn 61 and at most until you are 64 years and 11 months old. The partial pension can amount to half of full-time working hours at most.

As an employee, you have an obligation to report any secondary employment. If your secondary employment is not approved, your partial pension may be reviewed.

Your government occupational pension is not affected if you take out partial pension. Your national retirement pension, on the other hand, may be affected.

If you need more information about how partial pensions work, you can contact Heléne Persson at the Salary and Benefits office helene [dot] persson [at] pers [dot] lu [dot] se or read more in SPV’s information material.

Read more about partial pension on the SPV website (in Swedish)


The partial pension makes up 60 per cent of the lost income. If your fixed salary changes, the partial pension is recalculated to the same degree as the change to the fixed salary.


Full/time salarySEK 30 000
Partial retirement20 %
Salary for hours worked80 % of 30 000 SEK = 24 000 SEK
Partial pension for 20 % partial retirement60 % of SEK 6 000, i.e. SEK 3 600
Total salary and partial pensionSEK 27 600



How to apply for partial pension

Complete the form "Application for partial pension" and send it to the pensions officer at Human Resources, Lönekontoret, hämtställe 23.

Download application for partial pension (PDF 39 kB, new window)

Life insurance

As a government employee, you are automatically covered by the public sector group life insurance TGL-S. This insurance means that your family can receive financial support if you die. The money is paid out as a tax-free lump sum equivalent to at least six times the price base amount. This applies if the deceased was a government employee at the time of death.

Read more about Service Group Life Insurance on the SPV website

If you need further information on the public sector group life insurance, you can contact the SPV customer service by telephone 060-18 76 00 or email pension [dot] lu [at] spv [dot] se

Disability pension

If you are ill for an extended period, you may be entitled to a disability pension from the National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV). This is on condition that you are a government employee and that the Social Insurance Office is paying your sickness compensation or activity compensation. As long as you are receiving sickness compensation from the Social Insurance Office (Försäkringskassan), however, you are not entitled to a disability pension from SPV.

The size of your disability pension

If you receive sickness compensation or activity compensation, your disability pension from SPV corresponds to about 15 per cent of your salary.

The salary which SPV uses to calculate your disability pension is referred to as a pension base, which in simple terms means the average value of your salary over the last five years. If you have a salary which is above approximately SEK 27 700 per month, the disability pension will be higher.

If the Social Insurance Office reduces or increases your sickness compensation or your activity compensation, your disability pension will be adjusted accordingly.

How to apply for disability pension

You apply for disability pension by sending the decision from the Social Insurance Office to the Salary Office. Contact your payroll officer for more information.

Find your payroll officer here

Disability pension after the end of your employment

If you have terminated your government employment and are ill, you may also be entitled to a disability pension.

Contact the SPV customer service by telephone 060-18 76 00 or email pension [dot] lu [at] spv [dot] se for more information.

Retired professors – continued activity

The University has decided on regulations for the activity of retired professors. 

Regulations on the activity of retired professors, in Swedish (PDF 61 kB, new window)

If you are a retired professor, professor emeritus/emerita, you may be able to continue your activity without being employed, in certain cases. This requires your head of department to approve your application. The application is to be sent to the relevant head of department at the latest three months before your planned retirement.

If the head of department intends to approve your continued activity, you must both agree on the conditions for the activity according to a specially designed template.

Template – Professors emeriti, in Swedish (Word 84 kB, new window)

If you have more questions regarding emeriti, you can contact your nearest human resources officer.


Page Manager:

Telephone: +46 (0)46-222 00 00 (switchboard)
Mailing adress: Box 117, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Invoice adress: Box 188, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Organisation number: 202100-3211

Site manager: staffpages [at] lu [dot] se

About this website