The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Substance abuse

Lund University strives to be an alcohol and drug-free workplace. If you have alcohol or drug-related problems, you are entitled to support and assistance. All employees are responsible for helping a colleague who is abusing alcohol or drugs.

No one is to show up for work under the influence of alcohol or other drugs at Lund University. How you relate to these substances in your leisure time is your private affair, as long as it does not affect efficiency, safety and enjoyment at work.

The earlier a person with substance abuse problems is noticed and given treatment and rehabilitation, the greater the chances of solving the problem.

Test your alcohol habits anonymous online

If you are concerned about your own alcohol habits, you can do the Occupational Health Service’s anonymous online test. You can test whether you are drinking excessively and get tips and advice on how to change your alcohol habits. 

Test your alcohol habits on the Occupational Health Service’s anonymous self-evaluation on (in Swedish)

If you have a problem with substance abuse

If you feel you have a problem with your consumption of alcohol or drugs, you can get support and help from your employer. You can always turn to your manager. Your manager has a responsibility to help you.

If you do not feel comfortable talking with your manager, you can also turn to your nearest human resources officer.

Further support is available through contact with the following organisations:

When you contact your manager, treatment can be set up in consultation with the Occupational Health Service, if necessary. The same applies if the initiative for the conversation comes from your manager.

It is always your manager’s responsibility to ensure that an investigation takes place and that rehabilitation measures are taken and followed up. Clear requirements are also placed on your own active role in your own rehabilitation.

If you suspect substance abuse

If you suspect that a colleague has a problem, you are to contact your line manager. Saying nothing won’t help the person with the problem, rather the opposite. To get involved and to question is to care! 

Every manager who has reason to suspect that an employee has a problem which is affecting his or her work is to raise the issue with the employee in a private conversation. 

Early warning signs of problems with alcohol or drugs can be: 

  • declining performance at work
  • unbalanced behaviour
  • difficulty respecting working hours
  • decreased interest in appearance and personal hygiene
  • smelling of alcohol
  • recurrent brief absences from work, especially in connection with weekends and holidays
  • annual leave days, leave of absence and “work from home” days taken without warning.


Contact your line manager or the human resources officer within your department/faculty or equivalent.

Occupational Health Service

You can contact the Occupational Health Service for work related medical advice, counselling and ergonomic advice.

The Occupational Health Service works to achieve healthy, well-functioning and pleasant workplaces, and is available to help employees and doctoral students

+46 46 222 32 80

Read more about the Occupational Health Service