Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here

Subsistence allowance and meal deductions

When travelling on business both within and outside Sweden, you are entitled to reimbursement of your travel expenses and to receive subsistence allowance.

You will receive your reimbursement by submitting the mandatory travel expense report form once your business trip has been completed. This is done in Primula Res.

Read more about travel expense reports

Reimbursement of travel expenses

If you have needed to use your private car while travelling on business, you can receive reimbursement in the form of a mileage allowance.

You may also receive reimbursement for other means of travel which could not be booked via the travel agency, for example, local bus or taxi.

Subsistence allowance

Reimbursement of increased living costs (accommodation, meals and sundries) involved in an overnight stay outside of your place of residence, known as subsistence allowance, will also be made.

The amount of the subsistence allowance varies depending on whether the trip was one or several days, among other things:

Meal deductions

If you receive free meals during your travels, your subsistence allowance will be reduced (meal deductions).

Exceptions: Free meals on public transport if the meals are automatically included in the price of the ticket.

Meal benefits

Free meals during business travel are, as a rule, liable to tax regardless of whether it is Lund University or someone else who is paying. The benefit only needs to be based on employment.


  • Free meals on public transport if the meals are automatically included in the price of the ticket. 
  • Free hotel meals if breakfast is automatically included in the cost for the stay. 
  • Free meals during official entertainment or staff events.

Working hours during business travel

Employees on flexitime: 

  • Normal working day hours apply, that is, 8 hours a day, Monday–Friday (non-holiday). 
  • Travel time outside of normal hours may not be credited as working hours. 
  • Working hours at the place of business that exceeds normal working hours may be credited. A prerequisite, however, is that you and your manager both agree that this time is to be considered part of your working day.
Page Manager:


Please contact your line manager or the human resources officer within your department/faculty or equivalent.


Telephone: +46 (0)46-222 00 00 (switchboard)
Mailing adress: Box 117, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Invoice adress: Box 188, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Organisation number: 202100-3211

Site manager: staffpages [at] lu [dot] se

About this website