Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.

Sick leave

If you fall ill, you should report your absence immediately. If you are ill for an extended period of time, you must submit a doctor’s certificate. This page provides more information about notification of illness.

Notification of illness

Notify your line manager or the contact person appointed by your manager immediately when you are ill.

When you are well again, you should enter your declaration of illness for the period you were away in Primula Web

If you do not have access to a computer in your workplace, you should instead send a declaration of illness by post to Lunds universitet/Lönekontoret, Box 117, 221 00 Lund or by internal mail: Lönekontoret, hämtställe 23.

Declaration of illness (PDF 84 kB, new window)

Qualifying day

The first day that you are on sick leave is called the qualifying day. You receive no pay for this day. A work-free Saturday, Sunday or public holiday cannot count as a qualifying day. Neither can you exchange your qualifying day or part of the qualifying day for annual leave or compensatory leave.

Recurrence of illness

If you fall ill again within five calendar days of your return to work, this is regarded as a continuation of the previous period of illness. You therefore do not have to take a new qualifying day.

Illness longer than 7 calendar days

If you are ill for more than 7 calendar days, you must submit a copy of your doctor’s certificate to your line manager. You should also send the doctor’s certificate by post to your payroll officer at Lunds universitet/Lönekontoret, Box 117, 221 00 Lund or by internal mail: Lönekontoret, hämtställe 23.

The Salary Office reports your illness to Försäkringskassan (the Swedish Social Insurance Agency).

Find your payroll officer (in Swedish)

A doctor’s certificate must also be sent to Försäkringskassan. It is your responsibility to ensure that this happens. In most counties, the doctor can submit the certificate electronically. If you have received a paper certificate, send the original to Försäkringskassans Inläsningscentral, 839 88 Östersund.

Extensions of a doctor’s certificate must be sent to your line manager, payroll officer and Försäkringskassan on an ongoing basis.

If you do not submit a doctor’s certificate from the eighth day of your sick leave, your employer is not obliged to pay you sick pay.

Sick pay and sickness benefit

For the first 14 days of your sick leave, you receive compensation from the University, known as sick pay. Your first day of illness is a qualifying day, for which you are not paid. For days 2 to 14, you receive 80% of your ordinary salary. You can only receive sick pay for the days you would have worked if you had not been ill.

For days 15 to 365, after the period of sick pay, you are entitled to receive sickness benefit from Försäkringskassan. However, for higher salaries Försäkringskassan does not use the entire salary as the basis for calculating sickness benefit – sickness benefit is approximately 80% of your salary up to 7.5 price basic amounts, which in 2017 corresponded to SEK 336 000. 

As a government employee, you are covered by an agreement that entitles you to higher compensation. For days 15 to 365, all government employees receive approximately 90% of their income in total, irrespective of whether this is below or above Försäkringskassan’s ceiling.

For days 366 to 915, the University tops up your sickness benefit so that you always receive approximately 75% of your income regardless of salary.

More information about sickness benefit and how to apply on the Försäkringskassan website

Page Manager:


Contact your line manager or the human resources officer within your department/faculty or equivalent.


Telephone: +46 (0)46-222 00 00 (switchboard)
Mailing adress: Box 117, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Invoice adress: Box 188, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Organisation number: 202100-3211

Site manager: staffpages [at] lu [dot] se

About this website