Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here


If you are ill or injured you may need rehabilitation. What measures are appropriate depends on your needs. Read on to find out who is responsible for what, and what you need to consider.

If you are ill or injured you may need rehabilitation. What measures are appropriate depends on your needs. Read on to find out who is responsible for what, and what you need to consider.

Rehabilitation is a collective term for all the medical, psychological, social and occupational measures aimed at helping an ill or injured employee to recover his or her fitness to work. 

If you have been on sick leave for a while, it can feel hard to get back to work; you can, however, counteract this by staying in contact with your work and your colleagues. 

It is also important that you participate actively in your own rehabilitation. Your manager also has a major responsibility for contacting you and reaching agreement on the measures required to enable your return to work.

Rehabilitation folder for staff at Lund University (PDF, 216 kB, new window)

Support during rehabilitation

Successful rehabilitation requires close cooperation between several parties. 

As an employee, you have certain responsibilities and your manager has others.

Your responsibility as an employee

As an employee you shall:

  • report your illness on the first day of absence
  • submit the information required to your  line manager to map the need for rehabilitation
  • take an active part in the planning and implementation of your own rehabilitation
  • stay in contact with your workplace during the period of sick leave.

Read more about how to report absence due to illness

Your manager’s responsibility

Your line manager responsible for human resources shall:

  • investigate your need for rehabilitation
  • plan and implement rehabilitation and adaptation measures in consultation with you as the employee
  • stay in contact with you and invite you to the workplace during the entire period of sick leave
  • document all meetings and measures which take place during the rehabilitation process
  • ask you early on in the process if you want support from an employee organisation.

Other agents

Other agents besides you and your manager have important roles to play in the rehabilitation process, by offering support and assistance and by assessing your fitness to work and your right to compensation.

Support and assistance
Your nearest human resources officer can support your line manager and you as the person on sick leave through the rehabilitation process. The human resources officer can also take part in the investigation of new alternatives when a return to your previous role in the workplace is not possible.

The Occupational Health Service are experts in work-related illness and work environment issues who can offer you and your manager support and advice. The Occupational Health Service takes part in the rehabilitation work as required, for example by suggesting adaptation measures and assessment of fitness to work.

The employee organisations can also, if you wish, function as a support for you in the rehabilitation process.

The role of the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan)
The role of the Swedish Social Insurance Agency is to coordinate and supervise the measures needed for your rehabilitation. The Social Insurance Agency assesses your fitness to work and rehabilitation needs as well as your right to compensation. The Social Insurance Agency can summon you to a consultation meeting during your sick leave.

The consultation meeting is to be attended by you, your manager and a representative of the Social Insurance Office. Other units such as the Occupational Health Service, the treating physician and an employee organisation representative may also participate.

Page Manager:


Contact your line manager or the human resources officer within your department/faculty or equivalent.

Occupational Health Service
Tel: +46 46 222 32 80
Occupational Health Service website


Telephone: +46 (0)46-222 00 00 (switchboard)
Mailing adress: Box 117, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Invoice adress: Box 188, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Organisation number: 202100-3211

Site manager: staffpages [at] lu [dot] se

About this website