Designing LU merchandise
Are you looking for readymade merchandise?
If you need help designing the graphics for profile products which are not available in the shops, you can contact Lund University Shop by email universitetsbutiken [at] service [dot] lu [dot] se or telephone +46 46 222 47 59. Another alternative is to contact one of our procured communications agencies:
Ordering/procuring profile products is governed by framework agreements managed by Kammarkollegiet (The Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency) through www.avropa.se (in Swedish). If your product is not matched by a framework agreement Direct award of contract should be used.
When you need to order your own merchandise, you can go into the pages for Profile and corporate gift products on avropa.se (in Swedish) and proceed as follows:
- For orders under SEK 20 000: The suppliers are to be used according to the established ranking on the page. Click on the drop-down menu and send your request to the supplier at the top of the list. If that supplier cannot meet the request, you send it to the next one on the list, and so on.
- For orders over SEK 20 000: The request is to be sent to all the suppliers on the list (a procedure known as renewed competition). The simplest way to do this is to use the button for “Send call-off request to all suppliers”. When you have received the replies, you choose the one which is cheapest or most suitable for your product for other reasons.
Choice of merchandise
There are no recommendations for which products can be made; creativity and innovation are encouraged. However, as far as possible, you should choose products which
- are of high quality, both in terms of sustainability and design
- are produced in an environmentally friendly and ethical manner
- have a logical connection to the University’s activities
- are not dominated by the brand of the product itself
Proud bearers or users of our products are good ambassadors for Lund University. Do choose products which are unique to the University and which can reinforce our image as both classic and dynamic.
- The basic rule is that the Lund University logotype is to be present on all merchandise, including clothing. Adapt the size so that the seal is clearly visible.
- The logotype must never be less than 10 mm high (seal height). If this is not possible, the logotype is not to be used. Write Lund University in plain text instead. Use the font Frutiger LT Std Bold 65, in capital letters.
- The logotype must only appear in the colours blue/bronze, black or negative (white).
- When writing your own message on the merchandise, you must always use the profile fonts Adobe Garamond Pro and Frutiger LT Std.
- Approved text colours are bronze, dark grey, black and white.
- Make sure that the message is legible; both excessively large and excessively small text can make it hard to read. The material is also important, so ask for a material sample or test print.
- Only use approved Lund University profile colours.
- Recommended colours on products are dark blue, bronze or grey. Black is permitted if the product needs to be of a darker hue for practical reasons or is not available in any other colour. This can be the case for various types of bags, backpacks or work clothes.
- It can be difficult to find materials in exactly the right pastel hue. In order to ensure the correct colour rendering, we recommend that you print or paint the profile pastel colours on the material. It is preferable to choose a dark blue or white alternative.
- Choose product materials which match our profile colours, such as copper patina, blue fabric, white glass, natural leather, etc.
- The recommended colours on clothing are dark blue or white. The basic rule is to avoid black profile clothing.
- For optimum clarity, white text is used on dark blue garments and bronze-coloured text on white garments.
- The pastel colours may be used, but only if printed on the material.
The NCS system is used to indicate the colour values for paintwork, signage and certain profile products.
- You are welcome to use our graphic elements – seal, graphic images of buildings and the harlequin pattern – on your products.
- The seal must always be cut as described in the graphics manual. The seal may also appear in full, but only on products which have a form that is suitable for this, such as round pins, coasters, etc.
- The seal must always appear in bronze, black or white.
Practical tips for producing your own merchandise
Just as for all production of originals for printing, you must base your work on the supplier’s conditions for each type of order. Thus, as soon as you have chosen a supplier, you should find out how they want to receive the print-ready material.
Some common pitfalls:
- In most cases, white means not using any print colour at all. This entails for example that the negative/white logotype which is available for download from the Image and Media Bank does not work as an original for printing white colour on fabric or suchlike. In order to print in white, you must define white as a spot colour.
- When printing on material such as porcelain, plastic, fabric, etc. or generally anything other than paper, 100 per cent colour is the norm. In other words, you should not use any shades of our profile colours. Check with the supplier what applies in each individual case.
- Photo/pixel graphics rarely turn out well. All graphics should be of the object or bitmap type, such as black and white TIFF (Tagged Image File Format).
- PDF and EPS are common file formats for originals. The right file format is still no guarantee of printability. PDFs from the Office package rarely work, and EPS can easily contain image files of poor quality. If in doubt, check with the supplier.
Depending on the material, it can be very difficult to print small, fine details. In this aspect also, check with the supplier in each individual case.
For general questions about procurement:
For questions and help ordering your own LU merchandise:
Lund University Shop, LU Service
Tunavägen 39 A
universitetsbutiken [at] service [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 46 222 47 59
For questions about applying the graphic profile to LU merchandise:
Contact the Branding Office at Corporate Communications:
grafiskprofil [at] kommunikation [dot] lu [dot] se
If you need help designing the graphics for profile products, please contact Lund University Shop, or one of our procured communications agencies:
Our procured communications agencies